Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM

63 posts, read 244,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'm a Fed and just got finished with my MBA. I didn't have the greatest undergrad transcript but I nailed the GMAT and was accepted to a few different schools in the DC area. I wound up settling on Marymount in Arlington, which from an academic standpoint was probably the lowest choice, they're only recently accredited at the highest level.

But I'm planning on being a career Fed, and in the gov't, having the degree is a checkmark, I don't think where it's from matters nearly as much. I could have gone to GW instead (one example) but would have had twice as much debt coming out. Plus, Marymount was much more convenient to where I lived. In my situation, it was better to take the low cost option.

Anyway, in your situation, I'd probably lean Hopkins, if cost is no issue. If you aren't planning on staying in the area, I'm pretty sure it has a better academic reputation (nationally) than Virginia Tech.
Thanks for the input.

Like you, I kind of want it as a checkmark, but at the same time I want it to be challenging and provide all the perks of a big name MBA. I plan on staying with the feds, but who knows what might happen in the future? I want the best education that I can afford, and VA Tech and Hopkins are my two choices right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,122,102 times
OP, If the programs are comparable with costs, etc. I would choose Hopkins. Only because it has a more recognizable name.

But be sure you're going to like the environment. It won't be worth it if your program is full of rat bast*rds.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

264 posts, read 856,767 times
I chirped in before- I went to UVA for grad school- very good reputation.. but it doesn't guaranteed open doors- your experience does.. in the long run, a name mba school is good but won't get you considered if you lack the experience.. my emphasis is that an alumni network can help get your resume in front of the hiring manager.. we have people with no name mbas but have industry experience as directors- after a while, mba school name is not critical.. better mbas are more "pedigree" but not a slam dunk into executive status. A strong alumni network can help open doors when you'll need it years after graduation.. just check into hopkins vs tech on this.. just my thoughts/experience now that I'm a director myself.. i got where i am initially in my career by my mba school but long run (now) by my experience- mba school was not a factor- the decent mba is a bonus but only initially - once you're in a company it doesn't matter... of course exceptions - harvard- that carries such prestige that it is almost blinding (I have worked with great harvard grads and then those who were less than stellar that got in through programs).

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM

738 posts, read 2,964,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
OP, If the programs are comparable with costs, etc. I would choose Hopkins. Only because it has a more recognizable name.

But be sure you're going to like the environment. It won't be worth it if your program is full of rat bast*rds.
You still have to remember that Hopkins is recognizable due to their medical and engineering programs.

I was curious about the Hopkins program since I hadn't heard much about it, so I spent some time looking up their program. No wonder there's never been any press on it, they just started their college of business (Carey) only 2 years ago. The program isn't even accredited yet. I know Hopkins always sounds like a prestigious university, but they don't carry any credentials in the business world. Go to business week's web page and see their MBA school rankings; several DC area schools are included - VT, UVA, GT, GW, but Hopkins doesn't make their list of mentionable programs.

Don't get caught up in the Hopkins name from their other colleges. The reason other schools, such as Georgetown, rose so quickly in rankings when they had a new program was because their business schools are already heavily famous. It's going to take Hopkins a long time to establish an elite reputation for their brand new business school, and that includes attracting top faculty members that will be teaching you.

I'd recommend avoiding Hopkins, at the least until their MBA program becomes fully accredited, since the entire college of business is a new venture for them. I'd still choose VT or UVA out of the local schools, and that's a Hokie alum recommending UVA even .

At the end of the day though, look at what arabellava has said as well. Your alumni network and grad placement are what your MBA is really all about - hitting your goals after graduating, which is a combination of your degree, experience and networking abilities. Dont take it just to tick off a checkbox, take it to springboard your career to where you want.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM

33 posts, read 68,336 times
Default Tech

I was in the same situation one year ago. I did considerable amount of research and joined VTech because the program at tech. was offering the major I was interested in and had a couple of accomplished professors in my areas of interest. I had admits from GTown and UMD but the high costs(~80K for just tuition) steered me away, though my employer was willing to bear half of the costs. I also researched Hopkins and I would advice you to stay away from it, it would be my last choice if I were to go to a business school in the DC area, it is not even an accredited program. B-schools take a long time to make it to the top of the list and even if Hopkins were be a great program in the future it wont be for another decade or two.

As someone already mentioned MBA is more about pursuing your interests and networking. Research/worry more about the program and not the school! I believe Hokies are by far the majority in the DC area, so you will have plenty of opportunities to make lasting contacts. Feel free to send me message if you need further information.

UVA is hands down the best B-School in the DC vicinity period. Brand Darden sells and is the very reason why they are able to command a whopping 120K in tuition and fees for their executive MBA program.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess I did get caught up into the Hopkins name. I knew already it was unaccredited, but at the same time...it's Hopkins. There's no way it won't eventually become accredited. But yea, even so, VT is the better choice and we'll see what happens. I'll still apply to Hopkins because it's $15k cheaper than the other programs in the area.

I've kept looking and looking, but still haven't found an answer, but does UVA have a regular (non-exec) MBA program in the DC area?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM

8,996 posts, read 21,243,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie86 View Post
I've kept looking and looking, but still haven't found an answer, but does UVA have a regular (non-exec) MBA program in the DC area?
If there were, it would have likely been located at its Northern Virginia center which I'd predict you've already found.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If there were, it would have likely been located at its Northern Virginia center which I'd predict you've already found.
Yea, I found their NoVA center, but no MBA...sigh.

Now I gotta take the GMAT. I took the GRE already and did well (520v/750q) because I was thinking about getting a BA in Communication or Advertising (I was a marketing major) after I graduated. Hopefully I can crack 600 on the GMAT and get into VT. One of the other reasons I was looking at Hopkins was they accept the GRE. American and GW are also accepting the GRE for their MBA programs now, but they're both too expensive.

Also thinking about Maryland's MS in Supply Chain Management. I had originally planned on going to UT Dallas for an MS in Supply Chain while working for a defense contractor and then all of a sudden switched it up and took a job up here instead. Now I have to start this whole application process all over again...

Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

33 posts, read 68,336 times
Good luck, you seem to be sold on Hopkins.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan999 View Post
Good luck, you seem to be sold on Hopkins.
Not really sold per se. I would rather go to VT. It's cheaper, solid rep, and takes less time to complete. But even with Hopkins being so new and unaccredited, there seems to be alot of upside to going there. We'll see what happens once I apply to both schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia