Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,251,072 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the DC forum but figured I'd post here as well. Since most folks say that traffic is worse on the VA side of things than MD.

Any theories as to why traffic is just so gosh darned bad here?

I have a few but figured I'd ask y'all.

Washington area tied with Chicago for traffic congestion, study finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
To me it's simple: the various highway and mass transit expansion projects have not kept pace with the steady influx of jobs. While some may argue that the region could have been more proactive with our transportation plans (although a reluctant Richmond may have also held its share of responsibility), I think there was no way to keep up with the overwhelming wave of people that have come here over the last decade or two.

I admit to not being too knowledgeable about road construction plans...but regarding mass transit, the eventual Metro expansion to Tysons Corner and Dulles Airport will surely help as will the VRE extension to Haymarket.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times
Being #1 for jobs during a recession=too many people moving in at once. We're building mass transit and roads as fast as we can but you don't just wave a magic wand and have infrastructure appear. Plus, the construction itself becomes a major factor in congestion.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,331,453 times
It seems to me that we have major commuter routes shared with through routes that other travelers use such as I95. I think it has also become worse because of commutes that aren't simply from the suburbs to DC and back, but might be something like Woodbridge to Fairfax or Manassas to Springfield.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Being #1 for jobs during a recession=too many people moving in at once. We're building mass transit and roads as fast as we can but you don't just wave a magic wand and have infrastructure appear. Plus, the construction itself becomes a major factor in congestion.
True NoVA is attracting more people like yours truly. Although I think I moved here 2 months before the recession had officially started. I think the recession is the reason why we're jumping up in rank but not the cause of our traffic woes.

But you're absolutely all the construction is definitely making matters worse before they get better.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It seems to me that we have major commuter routes shared with through routes that other travelers use such as I95. I think it has also become worse because of commutes that aren't simply from the suburbs to DC and back, but might be something like Woodbridge to Fairfax or Manassas to Springfield.
True that! I'm a suburb to suburb commuter myself. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Transit options need to start addressing suburb to suburb commuters not just those who work in the District and Arlington.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,060,254 times
I've commented on this before, but a couple of my main points include:

bizarre population distribution - DC proper is ~650k, the DC metro area is ~5.5mil and around 7-8mil if you count Baltimore, some of its suburbs, maybe Annapolis, etc.. The city grows and shrinks by about 75% every work day. Name another major city that does that.

truly effective mass transportation does not reach far enough into the humongous 'burbs

a lack of major thoroughfares - basically 1 in each direction, and some of them aren't even so major (66 drops to 2 lanes each way in parts)

some of the worst intersections I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, look at them with Google Maps. It's hilarious.

due to the river, VA only has a couple access points into the city, all of which are over relatively small bridges. This creates massive choke points.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To me it's simple: the various highway and mass transit expansion projects have not kept pace with the steady influx of jobs. While some may argue that the region could have been more proactive with our transportation plans (although a reluctant Richmond may have also held its share of responsibility), I think there was no way to keep up with the overwhelming wave of people that have come here over the last decade or two.

I admit to not being too knowledgeable about road construction plans...but regarding mass transit, the eventual Metro expansion to Tysons Corner and Dulles Airport will surely help as will the VRE extension to Haymarket.
I totally agree. We have roughly the same metro population as Atlanta but their highways are light years ahead of VA. Northern Virginia alone has 2,000,000 plus all the commuters that come in from the District and Maryland how in the world can having 2 and 3 lane highways be justified. They should've been expanded decades ago!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,494,313 times
I've driven in both here and LA and traffic sucks in both areas, but in LA when I'm stuck in traffic from hell, in the back of my mind I can always think that at least the beach is just a freeway off ramp away

Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,841 times
I agree with everyone too. It is such a transient community. We moved in 2005, so I guess a little bit before the recession. My husband moved because of his job, and I just wanted to get away from the Philly area. He didn't like Maryland too much, and he really didn't want to live in DC, so we moved to Manassas. Traffic around suburban Philadelphia is just as heinous, IMHO. It would take me just as long to get to work as it does here, but that area is less transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia