Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

248 posts, read 722,490 times

Advertisements

I am out of country for work and will have to be here for another 6 to 8 months..

My driving license expires in April.. what happens to my car and motorcycle that is registered in my name? will it get cancelled? My gf is driving my car and I'd want her to continue using it.. so I dont want the registration to get cancelled..

what are my options? will my insurance get cancelled because I dont have DL.. and if my insurance gets cancelled? or will the registration cancel because there is no insurance?

same questions for the motorcycle too..

added: my gf lives in DC has DC License, whereas I have a VA License.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,950,389 times
You can't renew your license online? I just did that.

Pretty sure the registration won't get canceled if it's still valid for another year or whatever. I'd call up your insurance company and ask what their policy is though. If your gf is driving the car in DC anyway, she ought to be insuring it with her address.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,475 times
It cost more to do renew in person, so it only makes sense to do it on line.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,772 times
registration is good until it expires. as for the insurance, you can still keep your insurance for however long your premium is (6 mos, a year, some ppl pay every month, etc.), but you should have her listed on the policy if she's driving one of your vehicles for an extended period of time.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,414,359 times
The DMV has provisions for you to renew/extend your driver's license if you are out of the country for work/military purposes, etc. Check with them to see if you can obtain an extension, if not a renewal online. There are procedures to renew by mail, but you have to request the information, and follow specific instructions with respect to a qualified vision report, etc.

Check this link for more information: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/...deva/index.asp

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 AM

248 posts, read 722,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The DMV has provisions for you to renew/extend your driver's license if you are out of the country for work/military purposes, etc.
I cannot renew DL online/via email. I have Visa to be in the US and DMV HAS TO check my US-Visa and will renew the license only up until my visa expiration date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Pretty sure the registration won't get canceled if it's still valid for another year or whatever. If your gf is driving the car in DC anyway, she ought to be insuring it with her address.
I can renew the registration online (exp in Feb) for another year, and Insurance is for 6 months and is paid until june... when they renew in july i hope they dont cause any probs. GF has DC License and I've added her on to my VA insurance.

Will she have to get separate DC Insurance? wont that contradict the VA registration?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,859,484 times
I don't know anything about this particular situation with the visa and all that stuff....but I wasn't allowed to renew my license online. No, it wasn't because of tickets or anything, it was because I was able to do it the last time and since so many years had passed, they needed to update my picture - so unfortunately I had to do it in person. The picture is horrid but everyone gets a good laugh!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 AM

569 posts, read 1,059,838 times
I know this isn't ideal, and is frustrating because it wastes some of your compensation, but have you thought about taking like 3 days off (+ a weekend) and flying back to the US to get all this stuff done, and anything else legal that may be coming up in the near future?

Also, have you talked to anyone in your company (HR? a manager?)? If this is normal that they send people away for 6-8 months at a time then they may have some info for you or something in place to help you out. If it's abnormal then they may be thankful for your unusual sacrifice for the company and give you like a week of working from the US to get this stuff done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia