Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

I think this really depends if you are a person who LIKES carrying guns around. People that like to carry guns - either for protection or for robberies, love the idea.

People who are not comfortable carrying guns, feel more nervous when they have to wonder if half the random strangers they walk by are carrying guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
I grew up around guns in open carry states. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I would think that the guns that were hidden would be the ones to worry about.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
If we start seeing frequent Wild West-style shootouts between gangbangers/rednecks, I'll support some restrictions on open/concealed carry.

Until then, why restrict freedom if it's not actively being abused?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Growing up in Texas, living in NM I am pretty used to seeing guns being openly carried, doesn't bother me in the least. IMO those who hide their guns are the ones we need to worry about.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I'm from Vermont where guns are considered tools. However, my parents hated guns so I was never allowed around them. When my husband deployed I decided to take a basic gun class so I wouldn't be so nervous around guns. My husband had a gun and I wouldn't even touch the thing..I think I just thougt that if you held a gun it could accidentally go off...which of course is not going to happen. I learned all about gun safety, have since taken other classes, and am no longer nervous like I was. I hated guns!

For those who are really nervous around firearms, take a basic introduction and safety class. You might surprise yourself.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If we start seeing frequent Wild West-style shootouts between gangbangers/rednecks, I'll support some restrictions on open/concealed carry.

Until then, why restrict freedom if it's not actively being abused?
Nicely stated. Open carry made me a little nervous when I first moved here, but when I thought about it a little I came to the same conclusions. And I came to realize that the state I moved from, which was much more restrictive, also had higher crime problems. As stpickrell says, if this becomes a problem then I will reconsider my position, but for now it's not a problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
For those who are really nervous around firearms, take a basic introduction and safety class. You might surprise yourself.
That's a good point vermonter16. People are scared of things they don't understand. My Mom wasn't too keen on firearms, but I invited her to the shooting range. I sat down with her prior and I spoke to her about the safety aspect and basic firearm handling. We went to the range and she had a fantastic time and she did really well. She actually shot better than my Dad No it's a point of pride for her and she enjoys going to the range with her sons.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I guess I'm in the minority here. If I see someone carrying a weapon who isn't obviously law enforcement, I leave.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with guns, although it's been forever since the last time I fired one (the last was an M-16 in 1972). It's that people who carry guns make me nervous. As a nation we have so many guns - I've seen estimates that say one gun for every person in this country - and so many unbalanced/stressed out people ... well, I see a gun, I leave.

I have no desire to restrict anyone's rights in terms of gun ownership, carrying them around where and when and how the carrying is allowed by state and/or federal law, and so on. If it makes people feel safer carrying a weapon, that's fine. It makes me feel less safe knowing there are guns around, so I leave.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Our governer is now allowing guns in our state parks. Will you have any sense of fear if the person walking toward you holsters a gun? Does your opinion change either way if he has on a "wife-beater" undershort and the pistol is stuck in the waist of his jeans? In other words, as we NoVAns more and more confront pistol-packing citizens in our daily lives, how will you assess the gun packer based on his/her dress and location?
In this scenario I would assume the person carrying the gun is scared. Honestly, think about it.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. If I see someone carrying a weapon who isn't obviously law enforcement, I leave.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with guns, although it's been forever since the last time I fired one (the last was an M-16 in 1972). It's that people who carry guns make me nervous. As a nation we have so many guns - I've seen estimates that say one gun for every person in this country - and so many unbalanced/stressed out people ... well, I see a gun, I leave.

I have no desire to restrict anyone's rights in terms of gun ownership, carrying them around where and when and how the carrying is allowed by state and/or federal law, and so on. If it makes people feel safer carrying a weapon, that's fine. It makes me feel less safe knowing there are guns around, so I leave.
The US has a high gun-ownership rate, possibly the highest in the world. While our crime is high among our peer group (advanced Western democracies), no one is arguing we're really some sort of failed state the way Yemen is.

Also, Switzerland, Finland (yes), Sweden (yes), Canada, Norway, Serbia, Norway (yes), and France (yes) all have more than 30 guns per 100 people (or about one per family) and have much gun crime rates than the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia