Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 21,242 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I will be moving to Alexandria (kingstowne) next week and I currently work at Reston. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the commute is: how long it will take, the best route to take etc etc.

Thanks,
Michiko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
You can go from Kingstowne right onto the Franconia-Springfield Parkway, which turns into the Fairfax County Parkway, and drive it straight all the way 20+miles to Reston. I have only done this in rush hour a few times so I can't advise on the time it will actually take, but it's a simple route. There are some chokepoints, such as in the Fair Lakes area, so you'll need to experiment with the time needed.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I would take Franconia Road to Lee Chapel to the Fairfax County Parkway. I've never driven this route during rush hour so I can't say with absolute certainty that this way would be best, but it just seems to be that it must be better than the alternative which would involve a stretch on the Beltway and more likely than not, the bottle-necked interchange with either Route 7 or the Dulles Toll Road in Tysons. You could also take the Beltway and then get off at Braddock Road and take that to the Fairfax County Parkway, if you'd rather avoid Tysons.

This is a relatively long commute with several opportunities for traffic mishaps and inexplicable backups (especially if taking the Beltway to 7 or the Toll Road), so commute times could vary wildly but I'd say 45-60 minutes would be the rough average.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 PM

142 posts, read 567,296 times
Hey, I live in Kingstowne too. Well, my brother lives right next door to Reston in Worldgate (Herndon) and the only ways we know how to go back and forth is, like Yankeesfan said, the Ffx County Pkwy or the Beltway. It's likely going to take 50 min. to 1+ hour to get there.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 21,242 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Right now I commute from Greenbelt, MD to reston. So any commute would be better than that!!

I took a trial run the other day and saw that 495 south is pretty bad till exit 50(fairfax) and then the pace improves considerably..so i guess its not too bad..but i will try the fairfax county parkway suggestion and see how it works out...

Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Route 7100 (Fairfax County Parkway) will be your fastest, and least congested way to get to Reston each day. But just a heads-up, don't speed on Route 7100 there are tons of cops running radar on this road!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 AM

19 posts, read 80,760 times
I am just moving into Old Town and commuting to Reston. Are there any recommendations on the best route to take, and what times of day are best for heading to Reston and returning?

(not sure how much as changed since the last post almost two years ago or if there is other advice)

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried10 View Post
I am just moving into Old Town and commuting to Reston. Are there any recommendations on the best route to take, and what times of day are best for heading to Reston and returning?

(not sure how much as changed since the last post almost two years ago or if there is other advice)

Thanks for any input!
That's going to be a nasty commute. Do you have some flexibility with what times you're making the drive? If so, avoid rush hour at all costs.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 80,760 times
I do have some flexibility. Just need determine the peaks and troughs of rush hours!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Well, this is a guess since I don't make that commute--but I think you'd be better off driving to Reston after 10 a.m. or before 7:15. Driving back might be trickier--rush hour seems to die back after 6-6:30, but it's still heavy. If you have a choice maybe you'd want to work until 8 and then drive home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia