Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM

30 posts, read 40,906 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We lived in Berryville a few years back (3 years ago) and LOVED IT. We are now moving back to VA from FL. I loved the small town, the close drive to mountains, the larger yards, walking to schools, running to parks etc.

My husband will again commute to reston. While I loved B'ville, I woner if there is there a closer community with the same small town feel of Berryville with less of a commute (and and schools are important, I have a 3 and 4 year old). I remember a little about Bluemont, we ran a 5k in Round Hill, seemed nice....how is that for similarities..any other suggestions.

As an fyi..while we will rent at first, we eventually want to buy a place with a trees, large yard (an acre or more??). I want to feel like I am in the forest/away from it all while being close by and having town events/neighbors for my kids to get to know even though we live out of town..hope that makes sense) 3 bedroom + for 3-350K.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I'm not sure if these have the same feel you're seeking, but I think Hamilton, Round Hill and Purcellville are 3 small towns that are charming.

If you look in the photo tours we have tours of all three.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
well I think Round Hill, Purcellville, Hamilton, Lovettsville etc are all great options but you will not find a SFH there with an acre+ of land for $300-350K. You can find one on .25 acre in a development in Round Hill, and probably Purcellville. The biggest difference in these towns and Berryville is that you don't have to go "over the mountaint" (yay) and the school system in Loudoun is far superior to Clarke. BUT it is DEFINITELY more expensive on this side of the mountain.

As to the towns themselves, Round Hill is a great little town, Bluemont has a very tiny town center with really no commerce. Purcellville is probably the closest in size to the downtown of Berryville (which I love BTW).

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw75 View Post
Hi!

We lived in Berryville a few years back (3 years ago) and LOVED IT. We are now moving back to VA from FL. I loved the small town, the close drive to mountains, the larger yards, walking to schools, running to parks etc.

My husband will again commute to reston. While I loved B'ville, I woner if there is there a closer community with the same small town feel of Berryville with less of a commute (and and schools are important, I have a 3 and 4 year old). I remember a little about Bluemont, we ran a 5k in Round Hill, seemed nice....how is that for similarities..any other suggestions.

As an fyi..while we will rent at first, we eventually want to buy a place with a trees, large yard (an acre or more??). I want to feel like I am in the forest/away from it all while being close by and having town events/neighbors for my kids to get to know even though we live out of town..hope that makes sense) 3 bedroom + for 3-350K.

Thanks for the help!
Well you want an acre, I'm guessing within 1-3 miles of the small town.

Hillsboro is a wide spot in the road.
Round Hill and Hamilton are somewhat wider spots in the road. A few stores, etc. I see a couple places in Round Hill right near the town, easily walkable, but only on 1/2-3/4 acre lots.
Middleburg is very nice but might be too much of a commute, plus there's nothing on 1/2+ acre in your range.
Purcellville, lots of services, etc., some empty lots for like $150k but nothing finished on a house until you hit 1/2 acre and smaller.

Not sure if Leesburg is too big for your tastes tho.

All schools in Western Loudoun are fine to excellent

OTOH, if you made friends, etc., in Berryville the first time around, why not go back there? Berryville to Reston is an OK commute if you're able to leave early (like 5am or so) or willing to use the Greenway.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,063 times
I actually lived in Clarke County so know Berryville pretty well. The closest you will get to that is the Round Hill, Purcellville and Hamilton corridor, though I think Purcellville is a little too big, and Round Hill too small, lacking that main street charm of Berryville. Though I do love Round Hill and have had family living there. Leesburg has more of that main street feel and may be worth taking a look at, though it is not a small town like Berryville.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 PM

30 posts, read 40,906 times
Thanks for all your help. I am familar with all the towns you spoke of (except Lovettsville). I figured I would check them all out in depth. The charm of Berryville was that you did have basic ammenities in a very small quant town but we litterally flew up and in one day bought a house so I never really looked around at other locations very much. Leesburg defintely is too much traffic for me though their downtown has a quant feel. I will look more closely at the others when we make our way up there to find a place to rent (for now).

Berryville was very nice to live in. The commute was sometimes hard on my husband. We made tons of friends but just wonder if he will ever be able to make a soccer game/ swimming practice etc. now that we have kids.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia