Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM

110 posts, read 272,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I completely agree with you that your neighbors should be picking up their dogs' poop (sounds frustrating to live next to neighbors like that). But I have to admit, in all the years of being a dog owner myself, none of my dogs have ever stepped in their dog poop (then again, I clean up the yard).

Roll in it, yes... but step in it, no.
yeah, as a dog owner in the past - I agree. dogs that I've been around have never stepped in their own poop (you'd smell it when they came back inside). maybe that's a myth perpetuated by non-dog owners and a seinfeld episode where elaine gets really upset when a golden retriever jumps up on her with his front paws. but lol, they do roll in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM

204 posts, read 666,832 times
I am a dog owner as well (one lab), clean up my yard as well, and yes, my dog does seem to avoid stepping in poop. However with 3 dogs in a yard and no cleanup - ever - I believe it's unavoidable that poop debris will at some point get tracked into the house on dog paws and human shoes.

But my concern is not what goes on inside my neighbor's house, it's their yard that I can smell!

Quote:
I completely agree with you that your neighbors should be picking up their dogs' poop (sounds frustrating to live next to neighbors like that). But I have to admit, in all the years of being a dog owner myself, none of my dogs have ever stepped in their dog poop (then again, I clean up the yard).

Roll in it, yes... but step in it, no.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,820,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finini01 View Post
yeah, as a dog owner in the past - I agree. dogs that I've been around have never stepped in their own poop (you'd smell it when they came back inside). maybe that's a myth perpetuated by non-dog owners and a seinfeld episode where elaine gets really upset when a golden retriever jumps up on her with his front paws. but lol, they do roll in it.
Sometimes there can be misunderstandings if people never owned a dog before. All my dogs, for whatever reason, have always been female and therefore "squat" to pee. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to correct people who scolded and yelled at me for not picking up non-existent poop after my dogs peed (in all cases they were people who didn't own dogs and didn't realize that female dogs don't pick up their legs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post

I believe it's unavoidable that poop debris will at some point get tracked into the house on dog paws and human shoes.
Yeah, people aren't as nimble, so I am sure you are right. If your neighbors are that dirty, I would suspect that a lot of poop debris actually start off in the house (if you know what I mean).

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Quote:
Sometimes there can be misunderstandings if people never owned a dog before. All my dogs, for whatever reason, have always been female and therefore "squat" to pee. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to correct people who scolded and yelled at me for not picking up non-existent poop after my dogs peed (in all cases they were people who didn't own dogs and didn't realize that female dogs don't pick up their legs).
That's when the faux poop scoop move comes in handy. grab a plastic bag and wave it past the ground. Also works in those "lost poop" situations when you lose track of it in deep grass.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM

127 posts, read 356,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's when the faux poop scoop move comes in handy. grab a plastic bag and wave it past the ground. Also works in those "lost poop" situations when you lose track of it in deep grass.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
I have the same problem and have been looking for help since I bought my first house some months ago. I live in Prince William County, and I do not know which neighbor is the one that has his dog using my yard as a toilet. HOA cannot take any course of action until having evidence of which neighbor is walking the dog there (that is what I was told by them). Unfortunately, I am not at home at the hours this happens. I tried cayenne pepper and different granular repellents to see if the dog/dogs avoid my yard. I am in a condominium that is a townhouse style, so the yard is shared and due to HOA regulations, no one can build a fence as it is a common area for everyone. What is sad is that the dog/dogs are doing their business exactly in front of my sliding door on the back of the house...not sure what I can do...During winter months, I was not going outside, but now that spring and summer is soon...this will be horrible for the smell...please advise...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 AM

204 posts, read 666,832 times
I posted a few times on this thread and wanted to add an update. Since contacting our HOA and having them contact the neighbors, our situation has greatly improved. As far as I can see or smell, our neighbors have been keeping all the poop cleaned up. So don't discount getting your HOA involved.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,467,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniracm View Post
I have the same problem and have been looking for help since I bought my first house some months ago. I live in Prince William County, and I do not know which neighbor is the one that has his dog using my yard as a toilet. HOA cannot take any course of action until having evidence of which neighbor is walking the dog there (that is what I was told by them). Unfortunately, I am not at home at the hours this happens. I tried cayenne pepper and different granular repellents to see if the dog/dogs avoid my yard. I am in a condominium that is a townhouse style, so the yard is shared and due to HOA regulations, no one can build a fence as it is a common area for everyone. What is sad is that the dog/dogs are doing their business exactly in front of my sliding door on the back of the house...not sure what I can do...During winter months, I was not going outside, but now that spring and summer is soon...this will be horrible for the smell...please advise...
Some people have installed video cameras for security and this purpose.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,820,438 times
A quick, cheap (and wet) fix might be to turn on a sprinkler in your back yard area. Of course, after a while that might be water wasteful. But dogs (at least mine) are creatures of habit, they like to go pretty much in the same spots. If you can get them out of the habit of going in your back yard area, that might help in the short term.

Another (if you think it's happening at night) would be to put a motion triggered light back there. It might not scare off the dogs, but if a neighbor is purposely walking the dogs back there, they might think twice if they think someone turned on the light and is watching. It also is good for general security too.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,527,834 times
Dog owners -- like smokers -- are a part of nearly every community. They of course have an obligation to behave responsibly. The rest of us have the same obligation, however. As careful studies have shown that all of dog-owners, smokers, and others are capable of living together amicably under proper circumstances, it is merely a case of coming to such circumstances. Most people actually do want to be good neighbors, so a friendly word may often be all that's needed. The term "friendly" of course means that it should not betray any months of anger, hostility, and frustration that may have built up before such words are passed on. When more than a friendly reminder is needed, any HOA that tells you it needs physical evidence before it can act is lying. General if pointed and, as necessary, escalating reminders of pet and/or smoking rules and of the penalties for those found in violation of them are a part of on-going HOA responsibilities. Police advertise the locations of their upcoming speed-traps and DUI-stops for exactly the same reasons that HOA people should be regularly broadcasting pet/smoker rules and info. Attend a meeting and tell them to get their act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia