Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times

Advertisements

This is for your possible future reference. We have bundled Verizon service. During the power outage here in W. Springfield resulting from the heavy snowfall, we heard an occasional beeping sound in our home. We eventually traced it to the beige Verizon box installed where the phone wires enter our basement. I never paid any attention to the series of lights on this box, but one of them says "replace battery." I removed the cover to find a rather large (about 5x4x3 inches), heavy black battery. I'd liken it to a miniature car battery. I wasn't sure what it did or if I could disconnect it to stop the beeping. (We wanted to go to bed.) I was able to reach a Verizon technician using my cell phone. Here's what I was told: The battery provides up to several hours of land line phone service during a power outage. Not a bad idea since one might have to make an emergency call during an outage. Otherwise the battery is not needed. Disconnecting it to stop the beeping did nothing adverse to the system. A new battery purportedly can be purchased at Best Buy or some Verizon stores. So, if you ever here a distant beeping sound perhaps coming from somewhere in your basement, that's the first thing to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia