Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

53 posts, read 126,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
OK, sorry - didn't mean to jump on you. If your intent was to just tell me something you thought I maybe was not aware of, thank you for that

I'm just not sure why people can't just leave the issue alone and give me suggestions based on my criteria. We all have our reasons for what we want out of a neighborhood, right? If I really CAN'T find everything I want in a full-day K school neighborhood, fine - I will deal with that. I feel we have enough lead time to find all the things we want, though.
Yeah, but your criteria are what's causing your frustration, and the reason people post on message boards as such is to pose varied points of view, and varied helpful advice. I think you've come across as defensive whenever some have tried to offer some options that aren't in your tight criteria.

The whole reason you posted this topic is because you were looking for advice/help because you were frustrated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,177,607 times
Yes, I have tight criteria. I'm allowed to have whatever criteria I want in my house search (which may or may not even be necessary, I'm just trying to keep options open), as are other people. If there are NO neighborhood options to fit my criteria, I can accept that. It does not seem that way, however.

And for the record, I am not home full-time with my daughter currently. I am working 25 hours/week right now and about to go up to 30 (being forced on me a little early by our daycare, but that is a different post). I worked full-time until she was 2, and then cut back to part-time. She goes to a center while I work. We are quite happy with this arrangement. It works for us.

K is still 8 months away - I have time to evaluate all options.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Have you even READ the rest of what I wrote? You are so wrong, it's actually funny. I care nothing about prestige. Loudoun and PWC are just a little further than I want to be from our current commutes and the city. I didn't ask for where I can buy many acres of land for that price or a 5000sf home for that price - THAT would be unreasonable. If my criteria is too picky, how come I have at least 5 or 6 areas to look at based on suggestions I got here?

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-02-2011 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Have you even READ the rest of what I wrote? You are so wrong, it's actually funny. I care nothing about prestige. Loudoun and PWC are just a little further than I want to be from our current commutes and the city. I didn't ask for where I can buy many acres of land for that price or a 5000sf home for that price - THAT would be unreasonable. If my criteria is too picky, how come I have at least 5 or 6 areas to look at based on suggestions I got here?

Moderator Cut
Apparently, your transgression was failing to agree that everyone in Fairfax is rude and that "South Manassas" is the East Coast version of Green Bay, to which anyone with a choice should flock.

It may take a while, but I think you'll definitely find something that meets most, if not all, of your criteria. Don't forget that spring isn't too far away.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: removed previously deleted portion of quote

Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Where are all of these areas that you have to chose from for what you're looking for that you HAVEN'T argued about?
You have found something wrong with almost everything people have suggested.

Transparency at it's finest.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Apparently, your transgression was failing to agree that everyone in Fairfax is rude and that "South Manassas" is the East Coast version of Green Bay, to which anyone with a choice should flock.

It may take a while, but I think you'll definitely find something that meets most, if not all, of your criteria. Don't forget that spring isn't too far away.
Right.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,226,080 times
I think this would be a good time to end the "snarkiness" on all sides. Let's all be thankful to not be stuck under two feet of snow or several sheets of ice.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think this would be a good time to end the "snarkiness" on all sides. Let's all be thankful to not be stuck under two feet of snow or several sheets of ice.
Now here is something to be really thankful for

Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
I respect the OP for having specific criteria but I'm going to throw something out there. It seems like the full day kindergarten is the primary amenity they are looking for in their new home. I find that so interesting for so many reasons. First and foremost, kindergarten is one school year. Most people stay in their homes for more than one year. Second, and I know nothing of FCPS, but isn't full day kindergarten one of those budget items that has to be renegotiated every year? And are they ever subject to rezoning or to pulling the program from some schools? Just like I would never purchase a home based on the current school zoning (I live in Loudoun and they change boundaries yearly), I personally would not make the school situation a huge criteria on choosing where I plan to live for the next however many years. Just a thought.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM

My daughter starts K next fall. The decisions are being made currently on next year's boundaries and what is going to happen with the half-day K schools. Right now, the current full-day K programs are not in jeopardy.

Again, I started this thread because we have no idea where we may be next year. I was just looking for some neighborhoods that might fit this criteria if we're going to stay in this area for a while longer (5+ years) and can make a decision to purchase. We might be in Austin for all I know by the time school starts next year, as that was the original plan. We also may decide to rent a house somewhere nearby if my husband says he only wants to stay a couple more years. All I really know is we are DONE living in a townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia