Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,558,384 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I LOVE snow, and I don't mind the kids missing a couple of days of school. But now forecasters are saying a snow and/or ice storm is once again heading our way and it could be a major one. So, once again, the kids are going to undoubtedly miss more school. What with the holidays, teacher workdays and snow days, I feel like we really haven't had school since before Thanksgiving! This has got to stop!!!

So, I have a solution: Every January through February: just don't have school...call it their annual break. Instead, school will continue on through July and August. For those whose kids love to swim, don't worry, they can still swim after school in the summer b/c the sun doesn't set till real late and its too hot to go mid-day anyway! People can take their summer vacations during the winter months in warm places like Florida and Texas (and thus kids who want to go to Disney won't have to take an unexcused absence)! Kids who need to be on the farm in July and August -- my running total of kids I know in this situation is ummm, zero, btw -- can miss school to tend to the farm and get school credit and call it Science/PE class. Kids who like to go to camp in the summer, well, they can take that week off and get credit for Science (botanical studies), PE (archery and canoeing), art (crafts), writing (letters to home) and music (songs around camp fire).

I think this idea makes great sense b/c here's my observation: last week we got, what, 4 to 12 inches of snow? As a result, school was cancelled for three days. The kids weren't sent home with any busy work to keep their minds engaged (don't worry, this parent made sure mine were still learning, but not every parent has the time or inclination). This wasn't even a blizzard! In Minnesota, school would have continued on as planned.

The first day was due to a miscalculation on the part of forecasters: the storm didn't really get started till after kids were home safe. The second day was valid given that we had to clean up after the tropical snowpour. The third day -- nope, I think they should've gone back to school, but noooooo.....we had to cancel b/c of a threat of one inch more of snow, which turned out to be nothing. So, what do you think of my idea?

Last edited by Gottasay; 01-29-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,990,732 times
FWIW, I thought the prediction for next week was a light storm, and most likely a rain event.

However, I like your idea. Switching summer and winter vacations seems like it could work to me. It could make a lot of things easier.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM

45,572 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
FWIW, I thought the prediction for next week was a light storm, and most likely a rain event.

However, I like your idea. Switching summer and winter vacations seems like it could work to me. It could make a lot of things easier.

Ice. Like the one in Feb. 1994. Power out for a week to ten days. This winter has set up just like that winter.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,471,346 times
Interesting idea that I might like . . . . now that my kids are grown.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

Ha! Depends on the forecaster. Minutes before writing my rant, I checked accuweather.com and Doug Hill/Bob Ryan and they were in consensus about something big happening mid week. Some think snow, others think freezing rain. Both could equal school cancellations.

Let's hope for the best, but what's getting to me is the uncertainty of it all. I'd rather just plan on having Jan and Feb off for the kids rather than not knowing from week to week whether or not they'll have school.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

45,572 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Having school in July and August might work over there in wealthy NoVA but many MD schools aren't air conditioned.

(I teasing you with the above)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Having school in July and August might work over there in wealthy NoVA but many MD schools aren't air conditioned.

(I teasing you with the above)
But they are heated?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

I checked NOAA's website and here's their forecast:

Reston VA NWS Baltimore, MD/Washington, D.C.
Point Forecast: Reston VA
38.97°N 77.36°WMobile Weather Information | En Español
Last Update: 9:02 pm EST Jan 29, 2011
Forecast Valid: 10pm EST Jan 29, 2011-6pm EST Feb 5, 2011

Tonight

Mostly
Cloudy
Lo 26 °F

Sunday

Mostly
Cloudy
Hi 39 °F

Sunday
Night

Mostly
Cloudy
Lo 23 °F

Monday

Slight Chc
Snow
Hi 31 °F

Monday
Night

Snow/Sleet

Lo 24 °F

Tuesday

Wintry
Mix
Hi 33 °F

Tuesday
Night

FzgRn
Likely
Lo 28 °F

Wednesday

FzgRn
Likely
Hi 39 °F

Wednesday
Night

Mostly
Cloudy
Lo 22 °F

Old 01-29-2011, 07:30 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,243,048 times
(from Wikipedia)

In South Korea, the school year is divided into two terms. The first term runs from early March to late August with the summer vacation from mid-July to mid-August (elementary and secondary schools) and from mid-June to late August (higher education institutions). The second term usually resumes in late August and runs until early February. The winter break is from early February to early March.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
(from Wikipedia)

In South Korea, the school year is divided into two terms. The first term runs from early March to late August with the summer vacation from mid-July to mid-August (elementary and secondary schools) and from mid-June to late August (higher education institutions). The second term usually resumes in late August and runs until early February. The winter break is from early February to early March.
Sounds very common sensical to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia