Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 24,783 times

Advertisements

Anyone lives around Tysons Corner but takes Metro to work in Bethesda? Is it do-able? My wife's job offer has 3 month probation (which sucks and seems unfair as my wife has a decent permanent job in Boston, and even worse they downgrade my wife's job title (II to I); she moves only for family reunion), so it seems less risky for us to stay closer to my work for some time (about half a year).

A side topic, would you think it is wise for my wife to quit her current job for this temp (3-month probation without benefits) to permanent position? I am thinking she may keep looking for better opportunities. She does miss our 2-year-old kid although she travels here every other weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Will living in Rockville work for both of us? How long may it take for me to travel between Rockville and Tysons during rush hours? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,841,585 times
For awhile, I took the Metro sometimes to my job in Rockville from Vienna. It was a pain because you have to go into the city to Metro Center and then hop on the red line up to Bethesda. It's an option, but not one I would do on a daily basis - more if I heard traffic was horrible or if your car is in the shop. Rockville to Tysons is not a pretty commute. The traffic backs up by the bridge all the way back to Tysons sometimes every afternoon. I did the reverse commute and VA to MD is better, but not great either, especially in the afternoons. If you work odd hours, then either one is okay because the mileage isn't really that bad.

What is your rent budget? We can probably suggest some places that would be doable. Bethesda is uber-expensive, and while Rockville is cheaper, it is beyond where either one of you work. I'd pick Falls Church close to the beltway over Rockville.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM

We are looking to buy a home this year, so hope to save some rent if possible; $1500 - $1800 would be the range, but we are willing to pay a bit more to shorten commute time. Is the Fairfax Towers a good place to live? It provides free shuttle service to West Falls Church Metro station.

Last edited by zz2115; 02-01-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz2115 View Post
Will living in Rockville work for both of us? How long may it take for me to travel between Rockville and Tysons during rush hours? Thanks!
The answer to your question is - Yes! Metro to NIH is easy. Driving to Tyson's can be pretty bad, but it is doable, especially if you leave early (6:30 am). The afternoon will be similar to the morning. I disagree with the other post-er that it is better in one direction. That was true a few years ago, but now they are equally bad. Rockville will work out just fine, especially for the one going to NIH. Based on earlier posts up thread, though, you're probably better off near Tyson's.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,841,585 times
Whoops, sorry if they are equally bad now. I stopped working in 2007, and the MD to VA commute was always worse. They both stunk, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The answer to your question is - Yes! Metro to NIH is easy. Driving to Tyson's can be pretty bad, but it is doable, especially if you leave early (6:30 am). The afternoon will be similar to the morning. I disagree with the other post-er that it is better in one direction. That was true a few years ago, but now they are equally bad. Rockville will work out just fine, especially for the one going to NIH. Based on earlier posts up thread, though, you're probably better off near Tyson's.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
I'm moving to DC area. Looking for reasonable apartment in N VA close to job in silver spring, md close to metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia