Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
This might be a bit off-topic, but does the name of a street matter to anyone when they look at housing? I'm not sure I could ever live on "whipping post way," it just sounds awful.

Of course, maybe I'm just sheltered since I grew up on a street named Freedom and currently live on one named Merrywood.
LOL! Now that you mention it, Whipping Post Lane does sound pretty bad. I'm going to have to add this one to our list of weird Nova street names.

As far as safe neighborhoods go, most of Nova is low crime, especially in the neighborhoods with $800,000 homes. IMO, the farther west you go from DC the lower the crime rate tends to go. Tell us where your job is, and we'll be able to point you to lots of great areas nearby. Having a short commute is really desirable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,529,995 times
Speaking of weird names, I'm going to say Temporary Road in Reston is pretty darn permanent by now.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,134 times
OKay, sorry for the delay in responding but the husband will be working in the Ft Belvoir area. We really like Alexandria a lot. We are coming from a medium sized city (Providence, RI) and want to be close to DC. We were looking into neighborhoods like North Ridge/Rosemont and Mt. Vernon. We have read nothing but bad things about Rt 1 in Alexandria, which according to the maps looks somewhat close to Mt. Vernon. What neighborhoods are the best in Alexandria and Springfield? These 2 seem to fit our needs the most. Town houses are not really "our" thing so a single family home is what we are searching for.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giseba View Post
OKay, sorry for the delay in responding but the husband will be working in the Ft Belvoir area. We really like Alexandria a lot. We are coming from a medium sized city (Providence, RI) and want to be close to DC. We were looking into neighborhoods like North Ridge/Rosemont and Mt. Vernon. We have read nothing but bad things about Rt 1 in Alexandria, which according to the maps looks somewhat close to Mt. Vernon. What neighborhoods are the best in Alexandria and Springfield? These 2 seem to fit our needs the most. Town houses are not really "our" thing so a single family home is what we are searching for.
You might like the Burke/Fairfax Station area. That would be a decent drive to Ft. Belvoir, not far outside of Springfield, and there are a few neighborhoods with large homes on nice lots that would definitely fit your price range and be very safe.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,352,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giseba View Post
Any neighborhood in Mount Vernon with $800K homes is probably going to be nowhere near Route 1 (the only ones I can think of would be off of Old Mill near the Mt. Vernon Country Club). Just get as close to the Potomac as you can for that price and it will be very safe. See the post below where nobody could figure out where you could find an $800K home in an UNsafe neighborhood. I've lived in Mount Vernon for 20 years and never locked my doors when going out. Have never even heard of any break ins in my neighborhood. The crooks seem too lazy to venture far from the highway.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM

8,996 posts, read 21,241,833 times
Route 1's issues mostly involve garden apartment dwellers and perhaps some home owners/renters on the west side of the road. East of Route 1 features some of the most beautiful homes in the area and the scenery along the Potomac River is fantastic. A lot of homes, especially further south towards Mount Vernon, will be in the seven-figure range so one-story homes are more likely to be in your range but it won't be impossible to find a two-story if necessary. The upside will be an extremely short commute, which will be valuable as BRAC realignments will make Fort Belvoir traffic insane.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
A lot of homes, especially further south towards Mount Vernon, will be in the seven-figure range so one-story homes are more likely to be in your range but it won't be impossible to find a two-story if necessary. The upside will be an extremely short commute, which will be valuable as BRAC realignments will make Fort Belvoir traffic insane.
They'll find plenty of 3,000+ sq. ft. two story homes very close to the Mount Vernon Estate on 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots for less than $800K. There really aren't very many one stories around here.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
CAVA1990 and Tone509 tell you no lies. There is a major difference between close-to Rt. 1 and far east of Rt. 1 (I'll call it Mt. Vernon). Take it from someone who worked in that area for nearly 2 years. I would personally prefer the Telegraph Rd area or parts of Springfield and Alexandria proper over Mt. Vernon but there is nothing inherently wrong with Mt. Vernon.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
CAVA1990 and Tone509 tell you no lies. There is a major difference between close-to Rt. 1 and far east of Rt. 1 (I'll call it Mt. Vernon). Take it from someone who worked in that area for nearly 2 years. I would personally prefer the Telegraph Rd area or parts of Springfield and Alexandria proper over Mt. Vernon but there is nothing inherently wrong with Mt. Vernon.
I think though that Mount Vernon is a lot more visually appealing than the other areas you mention. It's probably due to the river and woods.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM

8,996 posts, read 21,241,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They'll find plenty of 3,000+ sq. ft. two story homes very close to the Mount Vernon Estate on 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots for less than $800K. There really aren't very many one stories around here.
I'll take your word on that...which would be even better news for the OP.

Regarding one-story homes, I was admittedly thinking more of Hollin Hills, which is a few miles north of Mount Vernon but still in the general area between Route 1 and GW Parkway.

Giseba, in terms of retail and dining options, Route 1 has most of your typical mid-scale strip mall needs. You'd surely see your would-be neighbors patronizing many of those establishments...although some find the quaint and somewhat upscale offerings at the Hollin Hall and Belle View shopping centers to be attractive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia