U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 PM

53 posts, read 118,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I had good luck checking the American-Indian Box, lol.
....Yea me, too.

...That's because I am Native American.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,365,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Considering race is an arbitrary and artificial construct to begin with, the stat is confused by definition. Adding non-racial ethnic backgrounds (Hispanic, Asian) just confuses the issue even further. Then add the fact that most people who identify as "black" have at least one white ancestor and it becomes clear that someone's true "race" is a totally meaningless concept.

"Race" as it is used in our society is a matter of self-identification rather than science. So if someone wants to call themselves American, and that's the way they identify themselves, it seems like that's the right answer to the question.

Race is a social construct and is some combination of self-identification and identification by close others. I certainlty recognize its evolving, and that many americans who identify as and are identified as black have white ancestors, and might not be considered black in say, Brazil.

if you really think of yourself as belonging to an American race, and are so identified by others, and that belonging is what impacts your income, location, education, etc, than by all means put that down. If you are doing so just because you think Census asking about race is itself somehow "racist" than you are a fool, of whatever color.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,365,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Why? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious. Why does it matter what income trends are by race, for example. The more I think about it, the more it seems no more important than knowing what income trends are by hair color.

because historically (and in some peoples opinions still) race has been a VERY important factor in our history, race discrimination has very much impacted peoples life chances. Ergo, if one wishes to determine to what extent that is still the case, if it is, why, if it is not, what have been the mechanisms by which its changed, and many other questions social scientists ask, its very useful to have data on it.

I don't think discrimination for or against the blonde has been nearly as important. If you think it has by all means, write a paper explaining why it has, and make the case before academics who studies our society. I beleive that Census should respond to the needs and concerns of data users, not of folks on message boards who never actually engage in research about our society.

And BTW, new categories have been added over time. For example the question about national origin (not place of birth or hispanic status, but origin) - though AFAICT thats not used nearly as much as race, probably because few analysts of income, housing, education, or anything else, think it matters that much. We have never had a question about religion - Canada does, IIUC, not having the same constitutional issues. Its probably too late to bother with as religious discrimination plays a negligible role in our society today - it would have been much more useful back in 1920s to 1950s when there was still discrimination against Catholics and antisemitism.

Nothing in what we asked should be locked in stone - we should look at the questions analysts actually ask, that census data can help with.

Oh BTW, in states still subject to the voting rights act, data on race is essential to districting, regardless of what social scientists do in their analysis. If you dont like that, go get the Voting Rights Act amended, dont blame Census

Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,469,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulzRulez View Post
The focus here should be what kinds of people are engaging in illegal activities and are here illegally. I don't care what color a person is, but if they're here promoting gangs, drugs, and making money under the table, (taking jobs that US citizens could fill, esp. with the hurting employment rates), then that's what I want to know.

Not how many of what race moved here or relocated there. I can't stand these general statistics.
Welll good for you. The purpose of the census isn't about crime statistics or whether or not someone is here legally. You're totally off topic on this one. You hate illegal immigrants and gang members. Again, good for you But if I want crime stats I'm not going to look at census data.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM

7,294 posts, read 12,073,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am hispanic and feel like there are not so may latinos in the area anymore.

Are you serious?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 PM

8,273 posts, read 18,998,587 times
Perhaps I should have been more direct in post #29.

General discussion about the Census is more appropriate for the Great Debates or Politics and Other Controversies forums. Returning to on-topic discussion on the impact of NOVA's minority population boom will both maximize the life of this thread and minimize infractions.

Enjoy the Super/Puppy/Lingerie Bowls!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,206,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Are you serious?
I am... I know for a fact a lot of people left Virginia. But... I do not work/live in a predominantly hispanic area in Nova.

My coworkers are mostly balck/.white

My neighbohrs mostly white.

So maybe I am mistaken

Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

7,294 posts, read 12,073,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am... I know for a fact a lot of people left Virginia. But... I do not work/live in a predominantly hispanic area in Nova.

My coworkers are mostly balck/.white

My neighbohrs mostly white.

So maybe I am mistaken
I live in Manassas. An area that has steadily seen an increase in the Hispanic population since at least back in the early 80's. Prince William County may have scared some off with it's initiative butnot many. I was in the Manassas Mall yesterday and it seemed like at least half of the people there were Hispanic. Quite a bit of Manassas is like this as is most of PWC. Seems to be no different in the rest of NOVA as well.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,883,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I live in Manassas. An area that has steadily seen an increase in the Hispanic population since at least back in the early 80's. Prince William County may have scared some off with it's initiative butnot many. I was in the Manassas Mall yesterday and it seemed like at least half of the people there were Hispanic. Quite a bit of Manassas is like this as is most of PWC. Seems to be no different in the rest of NOVA as well.
I think this and the comment to which it replies provides a perfect example of why brooklynborndad is right about how important it is to measure these changes, rather than have to rely on guesses or anecdotal observations.

One prediction is that if the trends are reversing with respect to groups that tend to have high fertility rates (i.e., if in the late part of the decade there was a decline in #s of people in these groups), then I think we will see an easing of pressures on the school systems and other systems supporting families with children, in some areas. If immigration trends continue upward among most groups, obviously that could increase pressures on housing prices and on transportion. I personally can't wait until the state representatives are forced to face the realities that the state's urban areas are outgrowing the rural areas, and that residents in urban areas are tired of subsidizing the rest of the state while their own transportation systems deteriorate or fail to keep up with growth. Speaking for myself only, I am tired also of the attempts to force Virginia backward socially, attempted by some of the same people who are closing their eyes to the fiscal needs of NoVA. If population trends continue, these people will lose influence.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,883,316 times
I'd also like to throw out a caution in interpreting the (very cool) WaPo interactive map. The size of the circles deals only with % change and not with actual numbers of people increasing in the area. So, for example, Fairfax Co. with its million people went up around 11% = ~ 110,000 new residents, which is almost as many as the net # of people who moved to/were born in Loudoun. Similarly, although Arlington Co. appears to have grown little (due to a ceiling effect, primarily) it increased by 20K residents, far more people than many in the smaller communities that grew at a much higher %. Since the change in the districts has to reflect actual population, not % increase, there may be an even greater representation shift to NoVA and other urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia