Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,215,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The block feature is cool. It appears that there are four people who live at the CIA, and they are all White. Now there's a surprise.
Ha! Interesting.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,215,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Another factor is how many people responded to the cnesus in 2000 vs. how many responded in 2010. They made a point of trying to include more people this time around, so that might end up making it look like there was more of an increase in some groups than there actually was.
That's a good point as well. Nonetheless it is interesting to see just how many neighbors I have.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
When I was asked about my "race" I said American. The girl looked at me funny and repeated the choices. I told her I'd stick with my first answer...

Do you use census data? Race still matters in our society, and its handy to know things like how integrated are our metro areas, what are income trends by race, even things like home ownership or transportation choices by race.

You can deliberately confuse the data if you choose, but I dont think you are helping our society in the way you think you are.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times
Quote:
Good for you! The next time we have a census I think I'll do that too.

This is sort of a crazy thought, but I wonder if explanation is that the recession is making more young people these days choose Latino if they have any reason to put themselves in that group. It can be handy to call yourself Latino if you want to qualify for scholarships and financial aid packages.
If that is the reason they are silly - census forms are confidential, and do not prevent you from listing any particular group on say an employment form, or whatever.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,351,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Do you use census data? Race still matters in our society, and its handy to know things like how integrated are our metro areas, what are income trends by race, even things like home ownership or transportation choices by race.

You can deliberately confuse the data if you choose, but I dont think you are helping our society in the way you think you are.
Considering race is an arbitrary and artificial construct to begin with, the stat is confused by definition. Adding non-racial ethnic backgrounds (Hispanic, Asian) just confuses the issue even further. Then add the fact that most people who identify as "black" have at least one white ancestor and it becomes clear that someone's true "race" is a totally meaningless concept.

"Race" as it is used in our society is a matter of self-identification rather than science. So if someone wants to call themselves American, and that's the way they identify themselves, it seems like that's the right answer to the question.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,351,235 times
Quote:
This is sort of a crazy thought, but I wonder if explanation is that the recession is making more young people these days choose Latino if they have any reason to put themselves in that group. It can be handy to call yourself Latino if you want to qualify for scholarships and financial aid packages.
People with Spanish-speaking family have always checked "Hispanic/Latino" on college apps and tried for Hispanic/Latino scholarships though.

I knew a few people in high school who did that even though their families were rich and times were good. Free money is free money. I doubt there's been any increase due to the recession.

(Slight terminology nitpick: I included the word "Hispanic" rather than just "Latino" because non-Latino people from Spanish-speaking cultures are generally allowed to apply for these scholarships as well.)

Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,758,269 times
Quote:
Good for you! The next time we have a census I think I'll do that too.

Or, maybe the increase is the result of more Latino babies being born. I don't tend to notice babies, so if there's been a lot born lately that might explain why there's an increase even though it feels like there are less Hispanics around these days. I have to admit I'm surprised. Not that I've been paying much attention to it, but I would have guessed that the Hispanic population was decreasing lately. I don't know why, it just seems like you don't see as many (assuming, of course, that you would know just by looking at a person.) But I guess I'm wrong. Like I said I haven't been paying much attention.
I had good luck checking the American-Indian Box, lol.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,988,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Race still matters in our society, and its handy to know things like how integrated are our metro areas, what are income trends by race, even things like home ownership or transportation choices by race.
Why? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious. Why does it matter what income trends are by race, for example. The more I think about it, the more it seems no more important than knowing what income trends are by hair color.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,089,907 times
RE: Census questions, we might want to refer to past discussions on this board as well as those on the Great Debates or Politics and Other Controversies board.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM

53 posts, read 125,923 times
The focus here should be what kinds of people are engaging in illegal activities and are here illegally. I don't care what color a person is, but if they're here promoting gangs, drugs, and making money under the table, (taking jobs that US citizens could fill, esp. with the hurting employment rates), then that's what I want to know.

Not how many of what race moved here or relocated there. I can't stand these general statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia