Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM

30 posts, read 41,125 times

Advertisements

I hear Clarke County schools are inferrior to Loudon. What website can I go to to educate myself on Virignia area schools? In Florida, even if a school is 'A' rated it does not necessarily mean it is a great school for various reasons. So how do I compare the schools in Virigina? What dictates a 'good public education' over another one? I am a new mom and moving back to the area so any advice in this would be helpfull!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,464,910 times
The standard that alot of people use is greatschools.net. The elementary school in Berryville is rated a 3, whereas just over the mountain, the Round Hill Elementary is rated a 10 out of 10. That's a pretty big difference.

You can also view the schools information on the Virginia education page: VDOE :: Virginia Department of Education Home for statistics etc.

I can tell you informally that it is universally accepted that Clarke county schools are not anywhere near Loudoun however of course property values and taxes in Clarke are significantly lower. It all depends on your priorities. My daughters teacher at Round Hill was from Berryville and she did not say good things about the elementary there at all.

Oh and to your question about how to know a good school if you see it, my biggest thing is the teachers. You need very good, involved, enthusiastic teachers and administration. I also look for a good facility, clean and safe of course. And of course you can go by test scores if you want as well. In VA, they do have various awards for different schools and they just did some, the Award of Excellence I think? Round Hill was one of several Loudoun schools to obtain that award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia