Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times

Advertisements

Any ideas for a place or charity in NoVA to donate items? Not interested in selling these things myself, but a charity resale shop or school group having a rummage sale could sell them.

The items are collectibles that I did not buy (someone gave them to us). They are beautiful and somewhat expensive, but we don't want to keep them. Just want them out of the house, and I would rather not throw them away if someone would enjoy them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Any ideas for a place or charity in NoVA to donate items? Not interested in selling these things myself, but a charity resale shop or school group having a rummage sale could sell them.

The items are collectibles that I did not buy (someone gave them to us). They are beautiful and somewhat expensive, but we don't want to keep them. Just want them out of the house, and I would rather not throw them away if someone would enjoy them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
The goodwill they will even come to your house and pick them up!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
A local thrift store will take them. I am in Leesburg VA and we have several local shops that happily take donations and give your a tax write off receipt. I dropped them and their back door and was done. If you are near Leesburg VA let me know and I will send you the store name I used.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM

169 posts, read 337,605 times
Try The Freecycle Network. My wife and I use it all the time and think it's terrific.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM

652 posts, read 1,303,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
Try The Freecycle Network. My wife and I use it all the time and think it's terrific.
I agree with this. You can get rid of almost anything on Freecycle.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM

361 posts, read 737,111 times
How about a charity that is meaningful to you (or to the person who gave them to you?)...
e.g., Hospice of Northern Virginia thrift shop... Humane Society Thrift Shop... Clock Tower Thrift Shop (Northern Virginia Family Service)... Yesterday's Rose in Fairfax serves several local charitable groups. For such a charitable donation, you also get a tax deduction.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I routinely donate to the Lupus Foundation. They have a store in DC where they sell things and use the money for their foundation. They are always saying they need "knick knacks." They will pickup from your house.

The link is www.lupuspickup.org

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
I am just donating a very nice sofa (2 years old -- rarely used) to Second Chance Thrift Shop in Falls Church -- they are associated with the Humae Society. They even have a truck and are very nice and come to pick up things. I also notice that lots of people go to their thrift shop and are able to enjoy and purchase these nice "cast offs." They take all sorts of things -- household items, furniture, costumes, clothing, etc. As an aside -- they are a good source for Halloween costumes!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Thank you for these great suggestions, everyone! Always glad to be reminded about giving to Goodwill, and it's helpful to learn about the others, like Clock Tower Thrift Shop and Yesterday's Rose. Thank you for the Lupus donation link, ChristineVA!

And if all else fails, I'll leave them on the curb in front of our house with a sign saying "Please take these home with you" and hope that a knick-knack deprived individual happens along.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Fern, in addition to these things if you have anything that could be used for building (furniture, lamps, extra wallpaper, extra tiles, appliance, etc.) Habitat for Humanity would love to have it. I think they might also take the gift items, since I think they have a resale store as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: