Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 3,072,212 times

Advertisements

I'll be in the area interviewing in a couple of weeks and want to take a quick look at real estate. One job is in Mclean, the other in Reston. My general plan right now is to look in the Reston area but I'd consider areas in Herndon too but maybe on the more eastern side (closer to Reston).

I don't want to live far out, even though I know I can get more for my money. I like to be closer to the "action" with health clubs, restaurants, cultural events and other single professionals etc etc.

My preference is a single family house but I know those will be pretty limited in my budget range which is $350-450K and I really don't want to go over $400K but I would if it was the right place.

I like leafy green areas, walking trails etc. and easy access to amenities. A townhouse would be fine as long as it is not those notorious skinny ones with no back yard whatsoever.

I don't really know the nice townhouse communities or the acceptable older subdivisions so would appreciate any advice. I've read through lots of the older threads but haven't gotten a real sense of neighborhoods to peruse. I know I can get an agent but they don't always tell you (or can't) about some of the problems with various neighborhoods.

So can I get any neighborhood/subdivsion recommendations any of you might have? Just name the place and give me a one liner like worth checking out, or stay away because of high crime or whatever one liner you'd like.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
well... most houses in Herndon and REston under $450 will be very small older homes in need of renovation.
I'd check out TH look near Reston Town Center. I am not super familiar with the area so I can't give specifics on neighborhoods etc...

Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Some subdivisions that may be of interest: Southbridge, Hunters Square, Deepwood, The Glade (at Hunters Woods), Sutton Ridge.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 PM

173 posts, read 497,711 times
I liked this site for home search in NOVA.

Northern Virginia Homes - Northern Virginia Fine Homes

Its very good, most of them have pictures, link to school information etc.

Thanks,
Met

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the comments.

There seems to be a couple of older neighborhoods with houses in Reston in the $350-450K range and I keep thinking -- what is wrong with them? LOL

Some do indeed need updating and others have some updates. Also, several of them don't have basements at all which surprised me a little. I don't seem to be finding many ramblers whatsoever.

There are a lot more houses available in the Herndon area but there are also a ton neighborhoods that I'm not familiar with.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
You might have to drive a little outside of Reston/Herndon town limits. There are some established neighborhoods with detached homes where the prices are starting to fall back into your range. I found one by searching on the web since we used to own a rental in that development (Glenbrooke Woods), but there may be others in similar developments off of West Ox Rd and Fairfax County Parkway, such as Franklin Farms. You would have to drive about 5-10 minutes into town.

Herndon Virginia Homes for Sale | Condo, Townhouse, House Listings (http://www.re-herndon.com/homes.aspx?ID=Glenbrooke%20Woods&SS=Glenbrooke%20W oods - broken link)

Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for that tip! Five to ten minutes out of town is doable. It's hard to know about which areas are in which "towns" or zips even. It's a bit confusing but I've seen that everywhere I've lived. :-)

I had forgotten about Franklin Farms or maybe I'm thinking of McNair Farms.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
McNair Farms is pretty much in town. There are a lot of apartments and small townhomes there. The area around the Clock Tower Shopping Center has built up so fast that my knowledge is probably obsolete. They have Woodland Park developments just up the street within walking distance. It's essentially another of those walkable complex of condos, offices, and stores (Harris Teeter's, Pei Wei Diner, etc.) that seem to be springing up all over Fairfax County. If you go down Sunrise Valley Dr farther west from McNair Farms, there's a brand new city called Dulles Corner in the process of being built. Dullles Corner and Woodland Park are being built near the planned metro subway stations for Herndon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia