U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM

4,697 posts, read 5,835,980 times

Advertisements

Our 6 1/2 year old PC (Dell) is ailing. I'm looking for a good place (i.e., NOT Best Buy) to take it and see (1) if it can be repaired, or (2) have the data on the hard drive recovered. We've done backups and have *some* of the data, but (like many folks, probably) we haven't been consistent with making back-ups.

We have a local computer store - GT (Golden Tech) Computer - near Potomac Mills. I took a PC there many, many years ago, and it was OK. But since it was so long ago, I don't know what it's like now.

We love MicroCenter for browsing/shopping, but I have no knowledge of their repair service.

I have a feeling that MicroCenter would be our best bet, but I would love to hear yeas and nays from people who have had actual experience with them. And if anyone knows of a good place in PWC for computer repair, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM

11,224 posts, read 13,179,452 times
GreenGene,

I have heard good things about Microcenter and GT Computers although I have never had to use either service. I have had a friend use Microcenter and he was pleased.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM

262 posts, read 788,038 times
Arlington Virginia Computer Repair - Laptop repair, computer repair, Mac repair, data recovery, virus and spyware removal in Arlington, VA

Never used them, just found them on Google previously.

You can get brand new Dell desktop with LCD often for about $400 + tax if you check Tech Bargains, dot com. You do have to look at specs carefully because sometimes they try and give you just dvd-rom drive and charge a lot for dvd burner (brand new dvd burners are often under $20 shipped at Newegg dot com)

Dell Vostro 230 full size desktops are nice machines that you can get with LCD for about $400 + tax with right coupon codes from Tech Bargains dot com. They would be in the small business section of Dell website. Here is a example (again full size tower, not the mini one): http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/245738 You have to look at specifics of any particular deal to make sure you get what you want (sometimes they try and sneak read only dvd rom drive in there) and in particular do due diligence on included LCD monitor and see if it is worth spending slightly more on better reviewed one from Dell.

Might be smarter to get a quote to get your data transferred to hard drive or dvd and just buy a new computer.

Last edited by mshan242709; 03-08-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM

The more we think about and talk about this, the more my wife and I think that a new PC is the way to go, whether the old PC can be fixed or not. There have been a lot of changes since '04, and it's not like we bought a top-of-the-line PC then.

That said, we really want to get the data off the hard drive. I think I need to start calling around and getting quotes on having that specific task performed. I'll try GT Computers (closest) and MicroCenter (most familiar) first.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM

3,173 posts, read 6,735,847 times
What kind of data is it? Pictures? Music? You can probably do it yourself if you're a little computer literate. They sell USB adapters that you plug your old hard drive into. Then your new PC will see a new removable disk. Then it's a matter of copying over your data from your old drive to your new drive. If you have installed programs on your old PC, you'll have to re-install them on your new one.

The adapters work with older IDE drives and the newer SATA disks too.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-.../dp/B001OORMVQ

Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,679,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
What kind of data is it? Pictures? Music? You can probably do it yourself if you're a little computer literate. They sell USB adapters that you plug your old hard drive into. Then your new PC will see a new removable disk. Then it's a matter of copying over your data from your old drive to your new drive. If you have installed programs on your old PC, you'll have to re-install them on your new one.

The adapters work with older IDE drives and the newer SATA disks too.

Amazon.com: SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter: Electronics

You should not waste your money trying to maintain a dying PC. It is cheaper in the long run to buy new one and transfer your data from the old to the new one. I bought an external network attached HD to keep my stuff backed up in case the computer failed.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM

3,173 posts, read 6,735,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You should not waste your money trying to maintain a dying PC. It is cheaper in the long run to buy new one and transfer your data from the old to the new one. I bought an external network attached HD to keep my stuff backed up in case the computer failed.
I agree that's why I'm advocating the OP buy a new PC and pull their data from the old HDD.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 PM

We took the old PC to Micro Center this afternoon, and asked them to back up the data to an external hard drive. They just called to say it was done. Can't complain about them taking too long!

Now we start shopping for a new PC ...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,156,936 times
Costco has some great deals on laptops. Check those out.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,062,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
We took the old PC to Micro Center this afternoon, and asked them to back up the data to an external hard drive. They just called to say it was done. Can't complain about them taking too long!

Now we start shopping for a new PC ...
Just curious - what do they charge for that service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia