Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,899,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenpilot View Post
Thanks for the insight, very helpful! Are you attending the Fairfax job fair? If so, I look forward to hearing your experience there as well.
No, my student teaching is in Fairfax. The county's policy is that student teachers do not need to (and are actually asked not to) attend job fairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,230,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
No, my student teaching is in Fairfax. The county's policy is that student teachers do not need to (and are actually asked not to) attend job fairs.
Really? I've never heard that. I wonder why that is.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Really? I've never heard that. I wonder why that is.
Not sure. I think they're relying on the principal/cooperating teacher letters to provide a solid enough analysis of our abilities that an interview wouldn't really reveal anything additional.

That, or my university supervisors lied to us. They made it VERY clear we were not to attend any fairfax job fairs if we were currently placed in FCPS though.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Not sure. I think they're relying on the principal/cooperating teacher letters to provide a solid enough analysis of our abilities that an interview wouldn't really reveal anything additional.

That, or my university supervisors lied to us. They made it VERY clear we were not to attend any fairfax job fairs if we were currently placed in FCPS though.
That's interesting. We don't get very many student teachers, but we do have one in my building currently. I'll have to ask her. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious to know if she was told the same thing.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Please do. I'll be curious to hear what she says (and what university she's getting her degree from)

Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Please do. I'll be curious to hear what she says (and what university she's getting her degree from)
I'll ask tomorrow.
The university is JMU.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM

16 posts, read 28,114 times
Hi ,any insight on the job market for Special Education in the region? I am a NYS certified teacher with 2 years of full time teaching and 2 years of PT teaching in Art. I have been applying to jobs throughout the region and I applied to the Alexandria Job fairs (which both I was rejected from due to high volume of applicants). Any advice would be great, thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM

139 posts, read 314,037 times
My family is relocating to Fairfax County at the end of this month. I submitted my application/resume through Career Quest in March. I was invited to a job fair on March 26th and was offered an "early hire" within 4 working days. I am getting lots of calls from schools all over FFX Co but we will be living in Herndon so my options are limited as far as how far I am willing to drive right now. I am guaranteed a job as an early hire. Where I work depends on me and my interview skills. I am waiting to hear from interviews now. Otherwise, I will get placed if I don't commit to a school from an interview. So, I would say that FFX Co is hiring for sure. Don't waste any time tho.

Another thing, someone mentioned a pay freeze, but the board voted on a 1% raise this coming year, however, without it, I was still seeing a $20K pay increase by moving there (and yes I know that everything costs more there!). Still, they pay better and they have their act together too! I have worked in several states and they have impressed me far and above the others.

Good luck! Be confident and sell yourself for the great teacher that you are!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meags338 View Post
Hi ,any insight on the job market for Special Education in the region? I am a NYS certified teacher with 2 years of full time teaching and 2 years of PT teaching in Art. I have been applying to jobs throughout the region and I applied to the Alexandria Job fairs (which both I was rejected from due to high volume of applicants). Any advice would be great, thanks!

Did you apply to the City of Alexandria and not Fairfax County? You would want to apply with FCPS... special education is always in demand any place that I have ever worked! www.fcps.edu....

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'll ask tomorrow.
The university is JMU.
Wow! I graduated from JMU in 1985. Yes, that was a long time ago...so I have quite a bit of experience. Just funny that now I am moving north, I hear "JMU" so much more. I love it!

JMU rocks and has a great reputation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia