Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 31,965 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was just offered a job in Tysons Corner, near the Galleria. I would like suggestions on where to live that would allow me decent access to the metro (for weekend trips into DC) as well as a decent commute to the office.

I have a dog and would love to be near a park. I've been to TC once and all I remember is bumper to bumper traffic so my goal would be to live fairly close to the office so I don't spend hours commuting.

I know that most apartments rent for around 1800.00. I'm not sure where to begin an apartment search and I'd like to get an idea for cost of living before excepting or negotiating the offer. I have no children. My main goal is to live some place that takes 30 minutes or less to get to work.

I'd also love to have a doggie day care place on the way to work. I am single and would love to be able to meet people occasionally but I don't have to be in a "hip" area.

Any suggestions for areas to live? I'm excited about the offer though I've heard it's hard to break into NOVA and make friends. I think that's probably not true, given the transient nature of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,223,478 times
Reston will offer lots of paths for you and your dog to enjoy.
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

You will be able to find a nice apartment or condo to rent in Reston Town Center for $1800.
1855 STRATFORD PARK PL #207, RESTON, VA 20190 - HomesDatabase
11800 SUNSET HILLS RD #316, RESTON, VA 20190 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CARLTON+HOUSE-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7525796 - broken link)

Commute will be about 20 minutes if you use the Toll Road.

I don't know much about this doggie daycare but I see it from the Toll Road when I pass Tysons.
Dogtopia of Tysons Corner - Dog daycare, boarding, boutique and spa in Tysons Corner, VA

Reston offers access to the Metro through the Fairfax Connector Buses. METRO is expected to arrive in Reston in early 2014.
North County Route Schedules and Maps*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,844 times
If you want to be near a Metro station now (will be years before Metro is extended to Reston), I'd recommend you look at apartments near West Falls Church, Dunn Loring or Vienna Metro stations on Craigslist. There are parks near each of these stations (the largest of them, Nottoway Park, is close to the Vienna Metro station and apparently has a designated area for off-leash dogs).

None will ever be mistaken for "hip" areas, though West Falls Church is within walking distance of shops/restaurants on Broad Street in Falls Church and the so-called "Mosaic District" near the Dunn Loring station is slowly being developed. There aren't a lot of attractions in the immediate area of the Vienna station, but it's a short drive to the Town of Vienna, which has many shops and restaurants (including some good "cheap eats").

Last edited by JD984; 03-13-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,899,395 times
There's a nice dog park in Falls Church, too, in Benjamin Banneker Park.

BANNEKER DOGS HOME PAGE

Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the information! I don't mind driving to nicer areas for dinners out, as long as I can live in a place where I can go to the grocery store and shop without too much hassle. I just don't want to give up green space in return for a super fast commute. I don't mind a small drive to a metro station, since that will be for weekend fun or whenever I need to go into DC .

Are the rents in West Falls cheaper than in TC? If I remember, TC is not very residential, even in a city sort of way. What kinds of housing can I expect? Are townhouses with a small yard a pipe dream in these areas?

The salary isn't bad but I worry what the tax rate is and what 2000 a month would do to my budget. Thanks for the info on parks and doggie day care!

Last edited by hathorlive; 03-13-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 PM

83 posts, read 194,725 times
I agree with JfromReston -- an apartment near Reston Town Center would suit all your needs. (It's only a 20-minute drive to the Vienna Metro station for your weekend trips into the city.)

Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

How long would the commute from Reston be during 7 to 8 am? I've been reading reviews of the apartment complexes in Mclean and I'm a bit scared. Of course, I should mention that I currently pay 350.00 for 1000 square feet. I think of spending 2000.00 and getting marble and luxury.

I appreciate people taking time to help me get familiar with the area. I'm thinking about taking a job with a large corporation and I hope they'll have some advice as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,223,478 times
Commute will be about 20 minutes even during the 7-8 am if you use the toll road.

12001 MARKET ST #41, RESTON, VA 20190 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-MARKET+STREET-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7549898 - broken link)
12004 TALIESIN PL #22, RESTON, VA 20190 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-OAK+PARK-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7518254 - broken link)
http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CARLTON+HOUSE-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7531320 (broken link)

Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Wow...that's a good commute and the apartments I've looked at are much bigger and cheaper in Reston.

Thanks for the awesome advice. You can never tell about the commute by looking at a map.

I appreciate the information!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,844 times
I think another poster who may not have wanted to spend money on the Toll Road used to report a 45-minute commute in the AM for a six-mile trip from Reston to Tysons in the AM. However, I do expect the apartments in Reston would be bigger and cheaper than in areas further east closer to Tysons or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia