Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times

Advertisements

So, what do you think? Is progress being made or is this just talk? More importantly, is traffic around here about to get a lot lighter? (Or, maybe just a little lighter. I understand a large number of people in Nova are considered essential employees, plus most contractOrs will still be working,) federal shutdown or not. Bummer, though, that those on a temporary vacation won't be able to go to the Smithsonian.

Senators Express Optimism on Avoiding Government Shutdown - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
I'm feeling optimistic about it, but we'll see how the week goes.

I've heard it on higher authority, in my office, that if a shutdown occurs, that they are not going to allow DoD to shutdown. Too much going on. Of course, that isn't fact but it was spoken about last week by people MUCH more in the know than I am.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,829 times
The blowhards are causing waste in government just talking about it, regardless of outcome. Cooler heads know better than to shut it down, so the Tea Party reps will just have to bite the bullet on this.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,384,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
The blowhards are causing waste in government just talking about it, regardless of outcome. Cooler heads know better than to shut it down, so the Tea Party reps will just have to bite the bullet on this.

Here's a novel idea -- the Democrats actually go along with some SERIOUS cuts in spending instead of more of the same B.S. Personally I hope the Republicans stand by their principles and force the issue -- time to cut off the crack to the addicts.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM

361 posts, read 738,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Here's a novel idea -- the Democrats actually go along with some SERIOUS cuts in spending instead of more of the same B.S. Personally I hope the Republicans stand by their principles and force the issue -- time to cut off the crack to the addicts.
There is a Politics forum.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,611 times
Quote:
If you're measuring waste, the biggest "crackheads" in the government are in the Pentagon, but they're always strangely exempt from Republican/Tea Party scrutiny.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times
I agree with Statecollege, they need to compromise and get this budget done, with the debt ceiling issue and the 2012 budget needing to be dealt with, they just need to figure out a compromise. How hard can it be?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,863 times
Quote:
Quick quiz: What percentage of government spending (counting Social Security, Medicare, etc.) is on (1) means-tested aid to families and (2) foreign aid?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
I think cutting 61 Billion is great as long as Defense is a big part of those cuts. If it is not, then the 61 Billion in cuts will be too crippling to the everyday American. I know everyone hates Bill Maher, the comedian, but he had a great prop on his show a few weeks ago with regard to the budget. A big, old plate of food with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and salad on the place. The fried chicken, potatoes, and macaroni represented defense, SS, and Medicare and they were untouchable. The little, scrawny salad was what was left and up for cuts. Naturally, it was a funny clip but it did bring home the huge cuts out of a scrawny bit of nothing that they are going after.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 04-04-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times
No matter your political views, this thread shows just how undiversified and service-oriented the Northern Virginia economy is. We are not an economy of producers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia