Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 PM

465 posts, read 924,661 times

Advertisements

I did a search for condos from 100k-310k throughout all the orange line. Nothing popped up Ballston and eastward. I cried. Ballston to Foggy would be so perfect for my social and professional life. Guess I can derp around buying a place in Southwest DC or the end of the blue/orange line...

My last hope is to find some good condos a mile or two away from the metro that are near FREQUENT bus stops (or have shuttle services) that will take me to one of those metro stations. Any ideas? Please post the urls/addresses!

My income's about 80 grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 AM

648 posts, read 1,326,995 times
I might be wrong, but I heard that area is highly coveted and the closer to DC, the more it costs - you probably won't find anything for 100K...but wait for others to chime in.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,880,555 times
Your best bet is to consult a realtor who specializes in that area.
But what you want is what a lot of other people want, so you can expect to pay for it.
Or consider renting, which might give you a foot in the door if the owner of your condo (or another in the building) decides to sell.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,887,966 times
A quick...search brings back several units in River Place (Rosslyn) for $150-225k.

Moderator Cut

Not the nicest building by any standard, but it's a convenient location and walkable to Rosslyn metro.

Moderator Cut

You won't have tons of options, but if you aren't expecting granite counters or walk in closets, you should be able to find something. I'd second finding a realtor who can help you weed through some of the options.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: sorry, that's a broker-sponsored MLS site

Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

465 posts, read 924,661 times
Thanks, guys.

How does everyone feel about the Ft. Myer area? It's not really walkable to Clarendon but it's only a bit more than a mile away and it has bus service.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,194,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Thanks, guys.

How does everyone feel about the Ft. Myer area? It's not really walkable to Clarendon but it's only a bit more than a mile away and it has bus service.
That neighborhood is fine. I think you'll find it to be a little more affordable than being close to the Clarendon or Ballston metro.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM

116 posts, read 211,302 times
I've lived in River Place which is the first three links by CaliTerp07. The buildings are ok, obviously the units can be a bit dated, but that tends to be an easy fix. None of the units have a washer dryer so you have to go to the laundry room to do laundry which can be a giant pain in the ass. The bigger issue is that the buildings are built on land which is part of a 100 year lease. When I was looking a few years ago, no one seemed to know what would happen when the lease ran out. These are also co-ops which can be trickier to finance.

Prices are pretty high in N. Arlington generally. 100k isn't going to get you much. The further away you are from Metro, the cheaper it will be. You may want to speak to an agent at this point.

Arlington is a pretty safe area generally. There really aren't bad areas. You may find your purchasing $ goes a bit further in S. Arlington as opposed to N. Arlington. The neighborhoods on the Orange line in DC really don't any cheaper until you reach SW, which is residential in character.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

8,972 posts, read 20,986,165 times
I'd be wary of any (presumably?) 1BR condos going for less than $200K unless you're looking at a short sale/foreclosure. Quality condos in the most popular and convenient neighborhoods may start towards the top of your price range, including Ballston and points east within NOVA. South Arlington is a good suggestion (Crystal City? Shirlington?) although I don't know about specific buildings. Falls Church may be a better bet. It's suburbia with a walkable downtown but you'll be a short driving distance to Arlington and Foggy Bottom.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,799,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'd be wary of any (presumably?) 1BR condos going for less than $200K unless you're looking at a short sale/foreclosure.
I totally agree. One thing I've noticed over the years on this forum is that the people who are unhappiest seem to be the ones who get apartments or condos that are less expensive than others nearby. The price is low because there is a problem that comes with the place. I've concluded that although there may be a genuine bargain or two out there, for the most part you really do get what you pay for.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,656,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Thanks, guys.

I think that's a great area as long as you don't mind the bugle calls.

Also, you might be able to find something on Lee Highway. There's a bus (the 3Y) that goes from Lee Heights to McPherson, via K Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: