Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,986,438 times

Advertisements

On the news they are discussing problems with the Mark 1 nuclear plants. Apparently they were built "on the cheap." They showed the list of Mark 1 nuclear plants in the US. We don't have any in Virginia, but one called Peach Bottom is 50 miles southeast of Harrisburg, PA.

What do you think about this? Is that a little close for comfort, or too far away to be something to worry about?

I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw on March 31, 1987 Peach Bottom units 2 and 3 shutdown due to cooling malfunctions and unexplained equipment problems. Granted, that was 24 years ago, and there doesn't seem to be anything that's happened more recently, but I also note this plant was built in the 50s, so it's older than the one in Japan.

I wonder if any of you forum regulars know a little bit about this plant? Does anyone know if we here in Nova have any reason to be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 AM

518 posts, read 926,665 times
No, real big reason to be concerned. Thankfully the U.S. nuclear regulatory agencies are Johnny on the Spot with ensuring that everything is working properly and is safely maintained. The only thing that we really have to worry about is a natural disaster on the scale of what hit Japan. If that happens, I would worry about being anywhere on the East Coast at all.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,128,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
If that happens, I would worry about being anywhere on the East Coast at all.
Good point. If a tsunami wave of that magnitude was to hit an inland site like Harrisburg, it would have to be one humongous tsunami wave.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
Personally, I wouldn't want to live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much we can do. There seem to be nuclear power plants up and down the East Coast.
NRC: Map of Power Reactor Sites

Even if there's little chance a tsunami would hit, I imagine there are other natural disasters, human error, or terrorism that could cause an accident. At that point, I think we just have to grin and bear it. Or we can move to the Great Plains. There does not seem to be many plants there. In the meantime, keep your eye out for Blinky the one-eyed fish in the Potomac. If you see him, we may all be in trouble.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,258,271 times
Actually I do believe Blinky (on the Simpsons) was three eyed.

Yeah I think people are getting a little uptight about what's going on in Japan. They say that stores on the west coast are running out of iodine. Did anyone read that article in the Post?

Japan nuclear crisis triggers run on anti-radiation pills - The Washington Post

A side effect from living in the information age. No I think we'll be fine. I'm not concerned about the Peach Bottom Nuclear Plant at the same time I don't think we need to be building anymore nuclear power plants.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
Doh! It's been quite a few years since I've seen that episode. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Actually I do believe Blinky (on the Simpsons) was three eyed.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,175,090 times
my parents lived just south of three mile island (in cecil county, md) during their meltdown. They didn't even realize how close they were until they were being told they MIGHT have to evacuate.

we lived in that section of MD and then right across the line in DE for many years. The threat is always there - there are several nuclear plants in NJ with horrid safety records. BUT, it wasn't something we worried about on a daily basis.

If you live within 20 miles, you probably should have those pills just to be safe. Further and the country would likely have to be experiencing a full scale nuclear crisis for it to be a problem - I'm talking the plant exploded kind of crisis like in russia.

I'm actually trying to figure out what happens to people who already have thyroid disease in case of radiation exposure. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am curious if I can even take the KI pills - can't find much out there.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM

4,461 posts, read 8,155,954 times
I'd be more worried about Lake Anna, but I'm not worrying at all. I'm fine with nucleaur power and 3 eyed fish. Lake Anna is nice and warm too

Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,128,777 times
Hey, having that extra eye can be a handy thing!

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM

706 posts, read 1,310,890 times
Not funny stuff-a good friend of mine's sister had exposure to the Three Mile Island disaster and they spent year in court trying to recoup medical expenses. Very sad stuff.

I don't care what anyone says-I would never support nuclear power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia