Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times

Advertisements

My husband is deploying in 2 days--we found out Sat. While I am somewhat used to this now, my kids are not. I have a special needs child and I want to get a dog while my husband is deployed. (I'll deal with the aftermath of making this unilateral decision later I guess). I am most worried about the spec. needs child not doing well with his dad's absence and want to be proactive with helping this child specifically.

I am kinda sold on one of the poodle mixes as I have allergies and couldn't tolerate a shedding hairy dog. l I'm looking to see if someone knows a breeder that breeds poodle mixes? I would prefer a dog around 20lbs and am open to any mix with a poodle.

I really appreciate any help or direction you can give me. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Since you seem to be a bit unsure and due to your household will be changing quite a bit, would you be willing to volunteer with rescue to try things out first? You could help a dog and then look at being the forever home if things work out. If not, then you wouldn't have to worry about the guilt of giving up a dog that wasn't right for you home at this time? Before we moved to NOVA, we worked with a rescue and we would allow for 24-48 hour sleepovers just to see how things would go. There was so much benefit with it.

The SPCA has a vounteer foster program:

SPCA of Northern Virginia: Be A Foster Parent

No breeder breeds poodle mixes...that would be a backyard breeder and not someone you would ever want to adopt from. But, talk to the SPCA and they can assist you with finding a dog that would fit your family. Plus, you would help an animal that deserves a second chance that would return the favor as a forever friend for your son.

Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Came across this site for adoptions of poodle mixes - you can search by state (VA, MD, DC) if you wish. I think most of these dogs are currently be cared for by rescue leagues.

Poo-Mix Rescue Dogs

I have to confess that I don't quite understand the comment about "no breeder breeds poodle mixes" - just because a mix isn't an AKC-registered breed that can be entered in some confirmation show doesn't mean there aren't breeders who care about the health of their dogs. However, I do think the idea of fostering a pet first might be a good idea.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Came across this site for adoptions of poodle mixes - you can search by state (VA, MD, DC) if you wish. I think most of these dogs are currently be cared for by rescue leagues.

Poo-Mix Rescue Dogs

I have to confess that I don't quite understand the comment about "no breeder breeds poodle mixes" - just because a mix isn't an AKC-registered breed that can be entered in some confirmation show doesn't mean there aren't breeders who care about the health of their dogs. However, I do think the idea of fostering a pet first might be a good idea.
Go to the Dogs thread and one of the top threads explains this. If you want a mix, save one from the pound. They are more deserving and loving. Most of all there are no shortages of them which is more reason not to breed.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
If you can find a mix breeder who is doing all the suggested health testing for both parent breeds, I will be shocked (though pleasantly surprised). I am very, very involved in the dog world and have yet to find a single mixed breeder who has xrays on file with OFA for hips, knees, and elbows, CERF tests the eyes, temperament tests the parents, etc. They may exist, but I have yet to see one. (Well, I've seen a few people breeding sporting dogs--border jacks or border staffies, but those are absolutely not the kind of dogs for a standard suburban household!)

OP, no poodle mix is going to be hypoallergenic. There is no standard for doodles (they don't breed true), so the dog could come out 90% poodle/10% other or 10% poodle/90% other. There's no way to know. You could breed the same 2 dogs a dozen times and get hundreds of different looking puppies. If you want a truly non-shedding dog, you need to look for a purebred from a nonshedding breed. A bichon, a poodle, a yorkie, etc. Even then, there's no guarantee you won't be allergic. It is so so so important to spend time with the breed or the specific dog (if looking in rescue) before bringing home an animal. Many people are allergic to some dogs, not others.

That said, no good breeder is going to give you a dog with 2 days notice, ESPECIALLY when your husband isn't a part of the decision making. They want their dogs to be in stable situations where everyone is on board, not last minute void fillers. Do you really want to add the chaos of a puppy right now anyway? They are SO much work. When I've fostered them, I have little time to deal with anything else. I'm constantly pottying them, training them, redirecting them, etc. (And I don't even have kids to worry about!)

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times
I know the above responses are not what you wanted to hear, but I also think that you're entering a stressful time (even if your husband has deployed before). A dog could be a wonderful way to help a special-needs child, but it will take some time to find the right one -- if you find a non-shedding one, it might be too big, or it just might not interact well with children.

In the meantime, you could look into some of the animal shelters in your area. Many times, they are looking for volunteer walkers. If you and your special-needs child could do that, it'd be a good way to see how all of you -- 2-legged and 4-legged -- interact. And for a couple hours a week, it's not such a firm "forever" commitment.

If you're firm on getting a dog now, you might want to contact some of the rescue groups. Among some of the give-ups (in this still-rocky economy, a lot of folks who've had to move from their houses have turned to rescue groups to take in their dog), at least you'll be able to make sure that the dog can handle being around children.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Default clarification

I'm not looking to get a dog in two days--I was merely relaying information on the timing of the deployment. Also, didn't mention a puppy. I'm fine with an older dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If you can find a mix breeder who is doing all the suggested health testing for both parent breeds, I will be shocked (though pleasantly surprised). I am very, very involved in the dog world and have yet to find a single mixed breeder who has xrays on file with OFA for hips, knees, and elbows, CERF tests the eyes, temperament tests the parents, etc. They may exist, but I have yet to see one. (Well, I've seen a few people breeding sporting dogs--border jacks or border staffies, but those are absolutely not the kind of dogs for a standard suburban household!)

OP, no poodle mix is going to be hypoallergenic. There is no standard for doodles (they don't breed true), so the dog could come out 90% poodle/10% other or 10% poodle/90% other. There's no way to know. You could breed the same 2 dogs a dozen times and get hundreds of different looking puppies. If you want a truly non-shedding dog, you need to look for a purebred from a nonshedding breed. A bichon, a poodle, a yorkie, etc. Even then, there's no guarantee you won't be allergic. It is so so so important to spend time with the breed or the specific dog (if looking in rescue) before bringing home an animal. Many people are allergic to some dogs, not others.

That said, no good breeder is going to give you a dog with 2 days notice, ESPECIALLY when your husband isn't a part of the decision making. They want their dogs to be in stable situations where everyone is on board, not last minute void fillers. Do you really want to add the chaos of a puppy right now anyway? They are SO much work. When I've fostered them, I have little time to deal with anything else. I'm constantly pottying them, training them, redirecting them, etc. (And I don't even have kids to worry about!)

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Default local dog pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Go to the Dogs thread and one of the top threads explains this. If you want a mix, save one from the pound. They are more deserving and loving. Most of all there are no shortages of them which is more reason not to breed.
I've been with friends to the local pound and I have not seen a dog that I would put with children. No way.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
How old are your children. Little kids aren't very good with dogs and often don't like them or understand how to play with them. If your kids are under 9 or 10, I wouldn't recommend getting a dog. They'll lose interest quickly when the dog behaves like a dog, needs attention, needs exercise, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Try petfinder.com to look for rescued pets in foster homes. These pets' foster families can tell you a lot about temperament, personality, care needs. Very different from adOpting from a pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia