Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Quantico in the summer. We've been there before and lived in an apartment in Stafford. Now we're looking to buy in a safe neighborhood with sidewalks that will be family friendly--but it seems that's hard to find without high HOA dues or strict HOA guidelines. Any suggestions on a Stafford or Woodbridge neighborhood with an HOA that isn't a pain? We have 2 small kids, one who will be starting kindergarten, so a good elementary school is a must. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,707,378 times
Can you tell me what strict HOA guidelines you'd like to avoid? My neighborhood in Woodbridge has an HOA that is, what I consider to be, not strict. My fees are $300 per year. We don't have a pool, we don't have sidewalks either, and we have about 50 homes in the neighborhood although we are connected to two much larger neighborhoods.

My HOA is not strict in the sense that we don't have a roving force of members that walk around looking for issues. My mom's neighborhood in Springwoods certainly does that.

You will a notice in my neighborhood if your grass gets up close to knee level, if you decide to park a boat or camper on the street, if you leave your destroyed basketball pole and net laying in your yard for a year, or if you try to paint your trim neon orange.

So, can you define strict in your perspective?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,901 times
I would say that your HOA sounds just fine. I definitely don't want people roving around looking for issues, not that we plan on being slobs but if my trash can gets left out past 5pm because we worked late I don't want to find a note on my door! Your fees sound reasonable, too. I don't mind if there's no pool but we would prefer sidewalks, unless it is a neighborhood that isn't high traffic so would still be safe for walking. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,707,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelelise View Post
I would say that your HOA sounds just fine. I definitely don't want people roving around looking for issues, not that we plan on being slobs but if my trash can gets left out past 5pm because we worked late I don't want to find a note on my door! Your fees sound reasonable, too. I don't mind if there's no pool but we would prefer sidewalks, unless it is a neighborhood that isn't high traffic so would still be safe for walking. Thanks!
I've mistakenly left my trash can out for a day, my grass has gotten a little too long, sometimes my trim on my house doesn't get repaired as timely as it should. However, it is eventually done. My HOA doesn't get crazy unless it goes on for a LONG time. Sometimes I wish they would do more sooner but then they'd probably go to much in the other direction. So, I'm pretty happy with what they do. I don't want to live in a neighborhood without an HOA though. There are a few of those in Woodbridge and, IMO, it greatly shows.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM

23 posts, read 55,072 times
If I was you, I would avoid living in Woodbridge. Stafford is so much nicer and will offer you a better quality of life.

There are some older neighborhoods in Stafford (Oakridge for example) that do not have HOA's.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM

127 posts, read 356,725 times
Before we moved here I wanted to avoid HOA no matter what. Then we went house hunting and saw some of the neighborhoods without HOA.
Now we live in an area with HOA.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM

671 posts, read 1,122,713 times
I too hate HOA and the one guy who takes it upon himself to be king and ruler of all he surveys.

I also think leaving sewer lines and some road maintenance to local entities that small is going to reach out and bite us someday . Especially with the foreclosures and empty rentals that are cutting into the funds available.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,175,397 times
Don't go to Westridge. We have the WORST HOA ever I think. They will fine you into foreclosure, they could care less.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 29,337 times
We used to live in Stafford and really liked it. The HOA's aren't that bad there unless you get out to some areas $500K and above. Hampton Oaks, Park Ridge, Settlers Landing, Autumn Ridge...they all have HOA but it isn't the crazy kind and you are close to everything.

The schools in Stafford are excellent as well! Enjoy your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia