Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times

Advertisements

I am curious what the average/typical earnest money deposit is in Fairfax County. I am looking in the $300k-$380K range and have enough easy access, liquid cash (in my checking account) to put down 2% if I find a place. But I read typical (nationwide) is 1-3%. What is typical for this area specifically? Will my 2% (around $8000k) be enough for a house in the range I am looking at?

Thanks!

By the way, I found a thread from 2 years ago about this subject, but that was then and I am wondering if things changed for today's market. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 39,564 times
We close mid-April and we put down 2.7% to show seller we were serious with our below asking price offer.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,312 times
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm misreading this, but ...

The earnest money deposit is what you write a check for when you and your real estate agent (if there is one) submit your offer for the house, correct? So the real estate agent will advise you what it should be. It's really only an amount that tells the seller whether you're serious about your offer and just an indication of whether you have the money to really be able to afford the property, and it helps the seller determine the risk of you bailing (say, if you're not a great credit risk and can't get your financing together) once it comes time to go to settlement.

The deposit is only one of several variables that will determine whether your offer is accepted (like contingencies, lease-backs for a homeowner who needs extra time in the house because his next house isn't ready for him, etc.), so I wouldn't sweat that detail -- altho for a home in your price range, $8K seems quite acceptable.

When I bought (during the height of craziness), mine was around $5 or $6K for a bid of around $300K.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,315,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am curious what the average/typical earnest money deposit is in Fairfax County. I am looking in the $300k-$380K range and have enough easy access, liquid cash (in my checking account) to put down 2% if I find a place. But I read typical (nationwide) is 1-3%. What is typical for this area specifically? Will my 2% (around $8000k) be enough for a house in the range I am looking at?

Thanks!

By the way, I found a thread from 2 years ago about this subject, but that was then and I am wondering if things changed for today's market. Thanks!
Does that mean that is all you have for the entire down payment? 2% should be fine for your earnest money deposit, but I think the lowest downpayment possible right now is probably an FHA loan which requires 3.5% down.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Cool, thanks!

I am looking at just two contingencies on whatever house I find (finance and home inspection). I think those are typical. I don't think finance should be too hard though, I've been pre-approved for up to $425 (but I like the range I gave above because I can put 20% down). The 20% down isn't easy access though and my financial adviser said it could take 2-3 weeks to move the money from where it is to something easy access like my checking account. So it's not "good" earnest money deposit cash.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Does that mean that is all you have for the entire down payment? 2% should be fine for your earnest money deposit, but I think the lowest downpayment possible right now is probably an FHA loan which requires 3.5% down.
Sorry, I know that I was as clear as mud. I have 20% down so long as the house isn't anymore more than $380k. But that money is in an account that will take a while to liquidate. I have 2% floating around in my checking account if I see something and want to make an offer.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Cool, thanks!

I am looking at just two contingencies on whatever house I find (finance and home inspection). I think those are typical. I don't think finance should be too hard though, I've been pre-approved for up to $425 (but I like the range I gave above because I can put 20% down). The 20% down isn't easy access though and my financial adviser said it could take 2-3 weeks to move the money from where it is to something easy access like my checking account. So it's not "good" earnest money deposit cash.
You might want to add an appraisal contingency (ask your agent). That will ensure that if the house appraises at lower than your agreed upon purchase price you do not have to proceed with the purchase unless your seller agrees to lower the purchase price to match the appraised price.

As far as earnest money goes, 1 or 2% is fine, listen to your agent's recommendations on this. The fact that you can put 20% down will greatly impress the seller.

Last edited by Margery; 03-25-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 39,564 times
Yep, bringing 25%, when I wrote 2.7% I was referring to amount of earnest deposit.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,411 times
1% is fine. 2% isn't really any different. Other than your actual bid, your chances of getting an accepted offer is based more on your contingencies and loan (down payment, type).

I.e. if one person puts in an offer with 3% earnest money, but FHA with 3.5% down and a bunch of contingencies, they may lose out to an offer of 1% earnest money 20% down conventional loan.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

83 posts, read 195,374 times
When we bought a house recently, our agent said that 1% deposit was typical. We put a little more, because we were making a contingent offer and wanted to show we were serious. But when we sold our house, I really didn't consider the deposit as a factor. If they'd put down less, I wouldn't have cared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: