Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

4,474 posts, read 8,178,157 times

Advertisements

I met a guy to renew a termite warranty at my rental unit this morning. As a habit I called him Sir a few times. I was told to "Don't 'Sir' me, I work for a living like you do" So I called him by his first name for the rest of the inspection. No feelings were hurt on either side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,868,690 times
I have always called anyone besides myself - yes sir, and yes ma'am. And lots of times folks (especially men) will tell me that it isn't necessary.... But, I feel it is owed to everyone. Maybe it's my mistake though because I will even speak to teenagers that way..... Oh boy - what kind of time warp am I in? I don't know.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM

4,645 posts, read 6,504,392 times
I call people sir and mam all the time. Also, because I am very uncomfortable with people serving me, I call people in such positions as maids, cable repairers, and waiters "sir/mam" as a way to balance any classist appearances.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,630,168 times
I am a department manager at a supermarket and many of times vendors and outside sales people call me sir.. they do it after they read my nametag. Makes me feel special

Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
I was taught to say "sir" and "ma'am" by standing on a couch in front of my dad while repeating, "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, please. Yes ma'am, no ma'am, thank you ma'am, please". You tend not to forget your manners later.

Manners are what they are - a sign of respect. If the person whishes not to receive that as a sign of a respect, well, then be respectful of their request. But around here and in my house and when my kids leave the house, let's just say that ole' couch has more than one set of foot prints on it. :-)

Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 PM

139 posts, read 315,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomto6 View Post
I have children in the school system here, and anytime I hear a child at their schools speak to me in that way, I am always impressed by the child's lovely manners. It immediately gives me a positive impression of that child, and I mentally credit their parents with a job well done. I don't see how you could go wrong with raising a child with good manners, who is polite and respectful of all they meet!

I totally agree! I was raised the same way and I have chosen to raise my son this way as well. People will tell you if it offends them, but you know, that is part of our southern culture and shouldn't our culture be respected just like everyone else's? My son is going into the 10th grade and since he was in pre-school, I have always been told what wonderful manners he has. It makes me proud.

We are moving from the south to NOVA and I still expect him to say it! I used it in my job interviews up there and no one seemed to mind.

Another thing that I found was important, and I was a single mom for many years, is to teach your child to have a firm handshake. Many people are surprised to shake a teenage boy's hand and get a "man's" handshake. In my mind, some things just speak loads about a person's character and those are two that stick out to me.

Congrats on the new baby!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,335,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpktch View Post
Another thing that I found was important, and I was a single mom for many years, is to teach your child to have a firm handshake. Many people are surprised to shake a teenage boy's hand and get a "man's" handshake. In my mind, some things just speak loads about a person's character and those are two that stick out to me.
We don't do handshakes here anymore. Fist bumps instead.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM

4,474 posts, read 8,178,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpktch View Post
Ya no one likes a "dead fish" handshake

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We don't do handshakes here anymore. Fist bumps instead.
LOL!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Ya no one likes a "dead fish" handshake
Amen! Even as a woman, I have a powerful handshake. It just says loads about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia