Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

There's still a Jefferson Davis Highway and a Robert E. Lee Hgh school as someone posted about below. Has anyone attempted to bring this up and change names, or is it really not worth the effort?

There's a Lee-Davis High School in Richmond and their athletic teams' names are the Confederates: the Lee-Davis Confederates which has me equally surprised. Would have thought there'd be a lawsuit or something soon.

I'm not offended at all by slight, unprominant references to the Confederate past like simply naming a school after Lee, but some people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
I am usually not a big fan of Bus Boys and Poets, but if there were one on Jeff Davis highway, I would SO go there

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There's still a Jefferson Davis Highway and a Robert E. Lee Hgh school as someone posted about below. Has anyone attempted to bring this up and change names, or is it really not worth the effort?

There's a Lee-Davis High School in Richmond and their athletic teams' names are the Confederates: the Lee-Davis Confederates which has me equally surprised. Would have thought there'd be a lawsuit or something soon.

I'm not offended at all by slight, unprominant references to the Confederate past like simply naming a school after Lee, but some people are.

Hmm. Reminds me of the song lyrics from the musical "1776":

"You see it's here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee-a-Lee

Social-Lee, political-Lee, financial-Lee, natural-Lee
Internal-Lee, external-Lee, fraternal-Lee, eternal-Lee"

Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
...just as long as they don't name it Ashdowne....

Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
It's part of the area's history...why change it? You can't change history!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
While there is a Rebel statue on Alexandria's Washington St (which does occasionally get calls for removal), NoVA seems pretty indifferent to or immune from sentimental yearnings for the "Lost Cause". Contrast to my experience in NC (not the Triangle) where I encountered almost daily "South will rise again!" stuff and play-acting the war among the neighborhood kids (years ago, but upon moving to NoVA that same decade, there was a conspicious absence of it in NoVA - really conspicious absence).

I'm sure there are people in NoVA who are offended by homages to the Confederacy as you described, but I'm likewise sure there are people who are offended that "heritage" symbols aren't more prevalent, or complain there's a politically-correct "Yankeefication" eroding the culture. It's just that there aren't enough of these people of either mindset to make a difference. Maybe life here is too busy to go after trifles! And as said upthread, it's part of the history and I think people accept that.

I've always found Southerners to be more prone to know about and think about the Civil War (aka War of Northern Aggression), whereas most others think "huh? That's ancient history!" Even if people would be adamantly anti-Confederacy if you asked them, they're not really thinking about it! They see a Robert E. Lee school and to them, it's a school, not "oh no, they're honoring a man who fought to preserve slavery!" Short take: the war isn't an issue with non-Southerners unless the Confederacy gets promoted as something great and glorious. It's something to learn in history class.

One caveat: if a new place were constructed and it were proposed to be named after a Confederate, I think such a proposal would stand a good chance at being quashed in NoVA these days. Existing buildings, schools, etc, that have been in the neighborhood for decades aren't making a statement, they just exist. Honoring someone with a new building is making a statement.

I think these days Virginia as a state (the government) is keeping a good balance between remembering its history and its historic persons, and acknowledging the reality, not the myth, of antebellum and wartime South. It's not all one way or the other.

Oh, and Richmond isn't NoVA in location or in disposition, and I'm sure that attitudes towards the Confederacy are more generous there, so I'm not sure why you included it in your examples.

Another caveat: I'm speaking as a white person. The attitude of a non-white in NoVA towards Confederate symbols and namesakes might well be different, but I haven't personally encountered anyone speak of this issue.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 03-30-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
The winners of wars get to write history, that's why there is no Goebbels street or Hitler plaza in Germany

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
I certainly hope none of these names are changed. Names like Lee and Davis are an important link to Va's history and the horrible period called the Civil War. I believe there is a good mix of names, at least in Manassas, of prominent names that represent both the south and north from this period.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
It's part of the area's history...why change it? You can't change history!

Lee maybe. Heck, Lee certainly. He was FROM here.

Not Jeff davis. He was from Mississippi. He governed the CSA from Richmond, not NoVa.

The road named for him was built in the 20th century.

AFAICT, the commonwealth chose to name it that, basically to thumb their noses at the Federal govt - i mean the road runs right near the Pentagon, close to the rest of the Fed govt complex, etc.

It would however be hopeless for NoVans to try to get the name changed - we would all get called PC liberals - hell, I expect to be called a PC liberal by fellow NoVans right here on this thread.

I think the best thing would be to subvert the meaning. Create a hipster community on Jeff Davis Highway, with businesses, galleries, etc that play off the name in an "ironic" way.

Might actually redeem hipsterdom, IMO

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
The winners of wars get to write history, that's why there is no Goebbels street or Hitler plaza in Germany
Um... the South lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I certainly hope none of these names are changed. Names like Lee and Davis are an important link to Va's history and the horrible period called the Civil War. I believe there is a good mix of names, at least in Manassas, of prominent names that represent both the south and north from this period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia