Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,197 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are looking at a house in McLean, and trying to understand how much we should budget for fulltime daycare. Infant and toddler costs are what we're looking for. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 AM

247 posts, read 1,140,952 times
ALOT! My friends sister lives in Mclean, and recently told me she pays almost $30,000 a year for her 2 kids. Her oldest is 2 1/2 and she also has a 6 month old baby.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
Full time child care can vary depending on if you go through a religious child care center, private center, au pair, or home care.

I know from personal experience in the private child care centers, you can figure on average it will be between $1,000-1,400 per month per child.

One more thing... wait times can be insane... for both of my children, we had to get on the wait list 9 months in advance.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
There aren't many day care centers in McLean itself. Even family day care homes are few and far between. Many parents use nannies or au pairs, or they enroll their children in a day care facility in or near their workplace.
And, even back in the 1990s when my kids were babies, the cost of any sort of fulltime child care was equivalent to private school tuition. The cheapest legal option is often an au pair, but there are significant restrictions on their hours and housing space.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
You can go to this link and put in 22102 and perhaps call a few of these places to get an idea for the going rate in McLean.

*Child Day Care - Search for a Facility - Virginia Department of Social Services

Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 38,112 times
EVERYwhere in the area is CRAZY expensive. We have a 4 year old and moved to the area in November. I was stunned at prices, and also at the fact that the VAST majority (75%?) of preschool options in the area are part-time (3-4 hours, usually from 9am to Noon). It was sheer luck that we found a full time school for our son, and the monthly tuition is $1250 - and that's for 9am to 4pm.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM

373 posts, read 820,887 times
I don't have children, but most of my friends who do either pay out the nose for daycare (frequently employer-provided but still expensive) or nanny shares. Whenever I wallow in my lack of family, I remind myself that I'm already spending 60% of my income on housing and could never afford children. I know plenty of people do raise families here, but frankly I think they are crazy, and I know plenty of people who are miserable from the stress of it all.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
It is expensive budget up to 1800 per child for infant or toddler..This is for good private daycare.
The 5000 K tax credit barely makes a dent

Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 27,782 times
This thread is timely to what I am going through. We moved to Falls church recently and I was shocked at the prices for daycare. I was searching for a preschool for my 2nd child and many preschools are open for 3 hrs or only from 9 to 3 and a decent one costs nearly 1500 per month. Felt like a rip off for 3 hours of enrichment and 3 hours of naptime. In addition they are closed for summer, winter breaks and spring breaks not to mention all the public holidays. The set up does not work for 2 FT working parents. Preschools fill up now for September. I was having anxiety attacks during my search. Finally we decided to send our child to a preschool in Reston, close to work. Things are so different from what I experienced with my first child(7yrs now) and I guess Mclean/Fallschurch area adds another angle to it.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I don't have children, but most of my friends who do either pay out the nose for daycare (frequently employer-provided but still expensive) or nanny shares. Whenever I wallow in my lack of family, I remind myself that I'm already spending 60% of my income on housing and could never afford children. I know plenty of people do raise families here, but frankly I think they are crazy, and I know plenty of people who are miserable from the stress of it all.
But not everyone puts their babies/young children in daycare. It is often more economical to stay home and raise them yourself, not to mention it is (without starting a flame war) preferable overall in most cases. I know there will be issues about time taken away from the workforce for the parent who is at home, but families have to weigh everything involved.

This includes time with your babies / young children, cost of daycare or other child-raising options, cost of commute - work clothing - dry cleaning - wear and tear on car if applicable - work meals, etc. Also taking into account if you are living beyond your means (when factoring in a parent staying home) --> size of home, size of car, number of cars, meals made at home vs. eating out, using coupons, taking advantage of sales, etc.

Some of us raise families here and aren't "crazy" because we aren't dealing with daycare costs. Personally I think we should take a cue from other civilized countries and offer much more time away from work for new parents --considering the benefits of family cohesion of more than 3 waking hours out of the day.

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 03-31-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia