U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 25,764 times

Advertisements

We plan on moving up to NoVa this summer. We already have specific houses in mind located in Fredericksburg and Stafford. I am looking for some constructive observations regarding the subdivisions (see below) and the general area the subdivisions are at located in town. We are moving from the Tampa Bay area, so I have no idea where the "good" or "bad" parts of town are located. We have 3 young children ages 7, 5 and 18 mos, so we are looking for family friendly in a good school district. Also what would the commute time be from Fredericksburg to DC and Stafford to DC.
The subdivisions we are looking at right now are:
Fredericksburg - Villages of Salem, Breezewood & Lancaster Gate
Stafford - Stonewood Estates, Meadowood Park, Countrywood Estates & Arbor Glen
Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 23,303 times
Fredericksburg has gotta be the last frontier of NoVa.

I can't comment on the exact commute from Fburg to DC other than to say it will not be fun...at least an hour maybe 1.5hrs during rush hour I'd imagine.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,276,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC123 View Post
Fredericksburg has gotta be the last frontier of NoVa.

I can't comment on the exact commute from Fburg to DC other than to say it will not be fun...at least an hour maybe 1.5hrs during rush hour I'd imagine.
Depends on how they commute, if they drive, then yes it would not be fun. Your estimate is probably right on a good day.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 25,764 times
The commute is not a big deal ... he has a flexible schedule and can leave pretty much whenever. Also right now we are living in Tampa while he is living up there, so an hour to 1.5 hours is an improvement!! ;-) I just wanted get an idea ....
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM

11 posts, read 26,291 times
We lived in Stafford for 3 years and the commute is like nothing you will ever imagine. If you move in the summer, don't let it fool you. It gets worse by time school starts up again for some reason. The commute is terrible and there just isn't anyway around it. At least 45 minutes to 3 hours depending upon the day, accidents and holidays. Tip off your husband to stay off of 95 on Fridays before a holiday. That is the day to telecommute or take a day of leave. To avoid most of the traffic, you either have to go in early (my husband left at 5 and got into his office by 6) and stay late (my husband left his office at 6 and routinely got home at 7:20).

I love Stafford, met some great people, had a fantastic church and school. Loved it all. My husband who commuted everyday did not. He lived in traffic and was a zombie most of the time. I felt safe there and there are tons of things to do with kids. The public library is one of the best we have been exposed to. The community felt like home to me and I loved it. It's a different culture though there. Most spouses are gone a lot so you really connect with friends in the same boat. You have to-your backup for school and such are your friends living there. You are too far away for you to call your spouse in the district to come home as back up or something like that. The other thing for you is since you have a school age child, gauge your time well if you decide to go to Fredericksburg on a Tuesday. You never know what traffic is going to be like at any point in time, so always give yourself enough time to get back.

Fredericksburg is really nice as well. They have just about everything which would save you time driving down there. Wonderful community as well and so many things for kids. We went down there for swimming and almost most weekends for stuff to do.

Good luck! You picked great areas!!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM

741 posts, read 3,597,988 times
It looks like you actually want to compare Stafford with Spotsylvania. Fredericksburg is just the mailing address for those neighborhoods.
I don't have time right now to go into it, but I will try to post again later.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,713,042 times
Eric is right...."Fredericksburg" encompasses S. Stafford, Spotsylvania, and the City of Fredericksburg....it's ALOT of area! You can find nice neighborhoods in all of the counties/city....but everyone is correct about the traffic....it's bad and gets worse and worse every year! Used to be, you could zip up I-95 during the non-rush hours times....not anymore! It may be smooth sailing at 3 am, but the rest of the time, the interstate is a slow-moving zoo! Your commute to N. Stafford will be about 15 mins. less than to Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas, depending on which non-interstate roads you'll have to travel once you get back into your "home" territory!!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,276,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny92 View Post
We lived in Stafford for 3 years and the commute is like nothing you will ever imagine. If you move in the summer, don't let it fool you. It gets worse by time school starts up again for some reason. The commute is terrible and there just isn't anyway around it. At least 45 minutes to 3 hours depending upon the day, accidents and holidays. Tip off your husband to stay off of 95 on Fridays before a holiday. That is the day to telecommute or take a day of leave. To avoid most of the traffic, you either have to go in early (my husband left at 5 and got into his office by 6) and stay late (my husband left his office at 6 and routinely got home at 7:20).

I love Stafford, met some great people, had a fantastic church and school. Loved it all. My husband who commuted everyday did not. He lived in traffic and was a zombie most of the time. I felt safe there and there are tons of things to do with kids. The public library is one of the best we have been exposed to. The community felt like home to me and I loved it. It's a different culture though there. Most spouses are gone a lot so you really connect with friends in the same boat. You have to-your backup for school and such are your friends living there. You are too far away for you to call your spouse in the district to come home as back up or something like that. The other thing for you is since you have a school age child, gauge your time well if you decide to go to Fredericksburg on a Tuesday. You never know what traffic is going to be like at any point in time, so always give yourself enough time to get back.

Fredericksburg is really nice as well. They have just about everything which would save you time driving down there. Wonderful community as well and so many things for kids. We went down there for swimming and almost most weekends for stuff to do.

Good luck! You picked great areas!!
Wow this has not been my husbands experience at all, of course he rides the Martz. He leaves the 610 lot at 5:15, gets to his office in DC between 6 and 6:15. The longest commute he has ever had was when we had that snow in January I think. Depending on the bus he takes his afternoon ride is either 1:15 or 1 hour and he normally catches the 4:07 bus and gets home at 6:10, if he catches the 4:52 he gets home about 6:20.

The second bolded sentence is definately very true, thank goodness I am able to stay home.

If you take the back roads over to 17, then take 17 to 1, then up that street by Wegmans the traffic is never bad except on the weekends. I have never had an issue with traffic during the week and I go to Fredericksburg every week.

I do however agree with how nice both places are, sometimes I wish we have lived in Fredericksburg but it would have added more to my husbands commute. I love Stafford and if I need anything they don't offer it is a quick trip to Fredericksburg.

Anyway OP welcome to the area I think you will really like it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM

389 posts, read 1,106,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strwbry0819 View Post
We plan on moving up to NoVa this summer. We already have specific houses in mind located in Fredericksburg and Stafford. I am looking for some constructive observations regarding the subdivisions (see below) and the general area the subdivisions are at located in town. We are moving from the Tampa Bay area, so I have no idea where the "good" or "bad" parts of town are located. We have 3 young children ages 7, 5 and 18 mos, so we are looking for family friendly in a good school district. Also what would the commute time be from Fredericksburg to DC and Stafford to DC.
The subdivisions we are looking at right now are:
Fredericksburg - Villages of Salem, Breezewood & Lancaster Gate
Stafford - Stonewood Estates, Meadowood Park, Countrywood Estates & Arbor Glen
Thanks!!
These Stafford subdivisions are not ringing a bell for me. If you give me some main roads where they are located I can give you tips on those areas. I always suggest to go to family watchdog first and see how many offenders are in the neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM

146 posts, read 306,731 times
I am new to the Fredericksburg area so I can really only speak to the "family freindliness" of our neighborhood, Breckenridge. We have teens and a 2 year-old and there are a million kids in this neighborhood for them to get together with.It is not far from Breezewood. We looked there but thought the homes that were 20-30years old were priced too high compared with new construction and there were no sidewalks in Breezewood.
Our realtor told us that the Salem neighborhoods are a little more transitional and would probably not be a good fit for our family.
Lots of people in this neighborhood commute to the DC area but I can't imagine that nightmare. The VRE is supposed to extend to Spotsy in a few years which would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia