Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM

373 posts, read 817,445 times

Advertisements

This morning there is an accident on Memorial Bridge. The lineup for the bridge via Washington Blvd stretches onto 395, where the right lane was barely moving when I got on at Shirlington. I waited in traffic for about half an hour, then turned around at the Pentagon and went home. My office doesn't have telework, so I called in. Would rather burn through leave from the comfort of my couch than sit in traffic all morning.

Has anyone else ever just given up during a commute here? This wasn't some epic event, no snowstorm without plowed roads or a six-car pileup on the GW Parkway...just an average morning.

Which brings me to my next question...there is at least one accident on my travel route every. single. morning. The timing isn't always the same, so most days I am able to make it in at a reasonable time...but I don't understand why there is ALWAYS something on the traffic report. How hard is it NOT to hit the car in front of you?

Which brings me to my next complaint about the traffic report...WTOP, I no longer take you seriously. First you steal Lisa Baden from me, then you replace her with someone whose voice kinda grates. Now you're peppering almost every report with a commercial, telling me to go to your website and search for Paris Hilton to find out more. Really? REALLY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,459,244 times
This morning I had to dodge a large garbage bag full of styrofoam which had exploded open on the freeway. It's like a video game. If it's not ice bombs, it's trash bags.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,550,525 times
traffic is some of the worst in the country around here. people can't drive. they are all on their phones, texting, or busy with their heads up their a$$. this leads to the inevitable accident which screws up everyone's morning commute more than it already is.

i gave up and moved .5 miles walking distance to a metro stop since my office is located right next to a metro stop. i have a pretty consistent 25 minute commute including the walking time. its a significant improvment to the quality of life

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM

248 posts, read 697,842 times
I take a shuttle to work and back all the time. I always see people distracted by their phone.

A combination of distractions, not keeping your eyes on the road 110% of the time, and failure to check blind spots are a major cause of these accidents. I personally ignore all cellphone calls while I'm driving or I have my passenger answer it if I have one.

I gave up in another sense. I'm on flextime but if I leave past 7am I'm taking shuttle->metro. That way I can read, fiddle with my iphone, or sleep on the way to work and back. Far more relaxing in my opinion than dealing with traffic.

If I were in your shoes I might have taken that day off too. A commute that turns out to be far more stressful than usual is in danger of pissing you off at work too. I know I would be in danger of blowing up at someone for no reason at work with that kind of commute.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM

373 posts, read 817,445 times
I'm envious of people for whom Metro is an option. My work isn't anywhere near a station or a reliable, high-frequency bus route. On one hand, I save on rent because there is no incentive for me to live near a station, but on the other hand...Traffic. Always. No way around it.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,291,382 times
If you have bailed out of traffic after 30 minutes, I got news for you: you're a weakling, and welcome to the area. Try getting stuck on a broken down metro train under the Potomac River, how about getting stuck on the VRE for 4 hours while the train crew removes trees from the track after a quasi-tornado. Oh wait until the next guy decides to jump off the WW Bridge.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM

248 posts, read 697,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I'm envious of people for whom Metro is an option. My work isn't anywhere near a station or a reliable, high-frequency bus route. On one hand, I save on rent because there is no incentive for me to live near a station, but on the other hand...Traffic. Always. No way around it.
Are you on flextime or is work a strict 9-5 thing?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,318,317 times
There is at least one accident every. single. morning. It sucks.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,291,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
There is at least one accident every. single. morning. It sucks.
come out to the burbs!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,318,317 times
I am in the burbs, sadly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia