Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM

33 posts, read 46,535 times

Advertisements

I have a coworker who is moving out to Middleburg. He currently lives in Aldie and decided to have a custom home built out there. He's a gov't employee and doesn't really make that much money, he's at least under 100k a year. I've visited Middleburg for the shopping and the restaurants, but everyone seems so snotty and all decked out with labeled items or dressed in expensive clothes and the like. I've been given 'the look' a few times shopping there for, I guess, looking and dressing lower class than them.

My coworker said that the shopkeepers and some folks may act like that, the most of the people in Middleburg are actually quite nice. There is a lot of 'lower middle class' housing in town and everyone acts like a small town. He said you really need to volunteer and be a part of the community.

We'd like to look into moving out to Aldie proper (not the new construction junk) or even Middleburg because we're not a fan of South Riding anymore. Does anyone have more insight into Aldie proper or Middleburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
If your friend makes under $100k a year and is building a custom home anywhere in the Middleburg zip, he must have sufficient funds. So, I'd assume, he'd fit right in. If you perceive that people are looking down on you because of how you are dressed, you've misread Middleburg. Some of the grungiest looking people in Middleburg are the wealthiest who just came from mucking stables or whatnot. The dressed-up tend to be tourists who think that's how they will fit in.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
+1 to LynchburgLover. Most people who live there aren't monied, certainly not the waitstaff at restaurants or the employees at Safeway. I've never felt looked down on and I'm dressed in jeans or sweats. I think you find snots wherever you go.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
If your friend makes under $100k a year and is building a custom home anywhere in the Middleburg zip, he must have sufficient funds. So, I'd assume, he'd fit right in. If you perceive that people are looking down on you because of how you are dressed, you've misread Middleburg. Some of the grungiest looking people in Middleburg are the wealthiest who just came from mucking stables or whatnot. The dressed-up tend to be tourists who think that's how they will fit in.
+1 to all that.

Realize that Middleburg/St. Louis has some pockets of rural poverty. Not that much, mind, but it's there (Windy Hill west of town, for example.) Middleburg ES has FARMS of 20-30% depending on the year as well (although it's shutting down and getting merged with -- I guess - Banneker or Aldie.)

Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsilas77 View Post
I have a coworker who is moving out to Middleburg. He currently lives in Aldie and decided to have a custom home built out there. He's a gov't employee and doesn't really make that much money, he's at least under 100k a year. I've visited Middleburg for the shopping and the restaurants, but everyone seems so snotty and all decked out with labeled items or dressed in expensive clothes and the like. I've been given 'the look' a few times shopping there for, I guess, looking and dressing lower class than them.

My coworker said that the shopkeepers and some folks may act like that, the most of the people in Middleburg are actually quite nice. There is a lot of 'lower middle class' housing in town and everyone acts like a small town. He said you really need to volunteer and be a part of the community.

We'd like to look into moving out to Aldie proper (not the new construction junk) or even Middleburg because we're not a fan of South Riding anymore. Does anyone have more insight into Aldie proper or Middleburg?
Wow. My wife used to work in Middleburg and I've been there many times before she moved to The Plains. I never saw what you're describing so my guess is the problem must be you.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
It seems like you might be a little envious of your co - worker since you are contemplating moving out there yourself?

In this area, there are millionaires walking around in jeans and beat - up sneakers or boots so you can't really judge a book by its cover. Furthermore, you don't really know your co - workers finances, right? Whether he's been saving up the wazoo, buying the house with his parents, inherited some money recently, or whatever? If you're really curious, why don't you just ask him?

I've only visited Middleburg to shop and dine and I did not get that feeling (and we were not dressed up real "fancy "). However, unlike many parts of NOVA, from Middleburg and west, you have the VFFs (Virginia's First Families) who are wealthy landowners, middle class professionals, those who work in service industry, and so on. So naturally, there are various types of houses available.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I've lived here in Middleburg for 3 1/2 years, and I find it anything but snotty. We are not a wealthy estate owners; but rather a professional couple who lives in a modest 2 bedroom house right in the village. When we walk through town, the shop owners are super friendly and love to chat. There is certainly a small town vibe here, you know your neighbors, and they are always willing to help with anything. (In the summer, one neighbor encourages me to just walk into his garden and pick what I want, at any time.)

Agreeing with an earlier poster that most of the attitude that may be in town comes from the tourists.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 AM

33 posts, read 46,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wow. My wife used to work in Middleburg and I've been there many times before she moved to The Plains. I never saw what you're describing so my guess is the problem must be you.
No, I don't think so. Several other friends and co-workers have described the exact same treatment and feeling. When 10 or more co-workers who live in Loudoun County get the same feeling and treatment from eating and shopping there? Before I even contemplated going there the first time, I asked around and I was warned that I would be treated horrid by the shopkeepers and some of the locals there.

The best service I had was at the Fun Shop, Market Salamander and Julians.

I am a bit envious of someone having the Middleburg address, that is definitely true.

As to the remark of my co-workers finances, if I know their GS level in the government, I definitely know what salary range they make. Even our top level guys get maxed out in salary.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsilas77 View Post
I am a bit envious of someone having the Middleburg address, that is definitely true.
What, specifically, are you envious of? Country living? Small town community? Or are you referring to being envious of the actual word "Middleburg" in your address?

If you are envious of the country feel and community, there are a lot of small towns in western Loudoun that can give you the same, without the upscale shopping.

If you are envious of someone simply having the word "Middleburg" in their address that might explain your sensitivity to how you were treated. Most people in Middleburg do not care a lick about prestige, titles, or names. They are much more concerned with your horse's or dog's name. I treat absolutely everyone the same, regardless of who they are, and feel I get treated the same at every shop and restaurant in town. Those that may be envious about a specific location, just because of the appearance of prestige, may not have that same experience.

Last edited by spencgr; 12-16-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Most people in Middleburg do not care a lick about prestige, titles, or names. They are much more concerned with your horse's or dog's name.
LOL LOL LOL this is so true! You can move to Middleburg and not have any money--but don't you dare move there without a dog. Or at the very least like dogs/horses, and be willing to own a few dog/horse-related items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia