Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,955 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiance and I are trying to relocate from Kansas to the DC area (hopefully Alexandria, VA). There is no way with our work schedules here in KS and when we have to move to DC that we can both (or maybe even one of us) make it out to the area much before moving.

We know no one in the area but both have jobs. He will be working at the Kennedy Center as an actor and I will be employed at the Little Theatre of Alexandria.

We are on craigslist for what seems like the better part of our lives but can't really nail anything down b/c landlords want us to be right there. We also both have a short credit history (we both just graduated from college and graduate school) which seems to be a problem with all of the application processes and credit checks. However we both have wonderful past landlord references.

Does anyone have any advice at all? We are scheduled to move the 29th of August and I am scared out of my wits right now that we don't have an apartment.

Other details--
We want to live outside of DC
We do not own a car
We're looking for a one bedroom apt. for 850-1000 a mo.

Thanks for any advice you may have,
Shan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
my advice is to consider a private renter as opposed to an apt complex. they are usually more sympatheic to credit problems provided you have a good rental history. also you can can get a better place for usually the same price that an avg place in a apt complex would cost. that being said the minimum that a good 1-bed goes for is around $1k inside Alexandria City. Shrilington and Springfield would be good places to look also. i think $1k is the standard price to get anywhere decent in NoVA.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Just be careful not to rent in the apartment complexes in 22150 of Springfield. There is one complex that is directly between Springfield Mall and the Metro that is fine, but avoid the others. If you do go with a private rental from a homeowner, make sure that it is legal. In Fairfax County an absentee owner/landlord is permitted to rent to up to four unrelated individuals (such as four college students sharing a house); an owner/family who lives in the home may rent to only two unrelated individuals.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,213 times
At that price range near reasonable public transportation, you will probably only be able to get a studio or have to share a home with other people. I think at around $1k you could get a decent sized studio around crystal city which would make your commuting much easier.
The easiest advice for finding a place is to get a hotel for a week when you come here and then just find a place. It doesn't take long and there are hundreds of places to rent from in the area; it's very transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: