Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM

262 posts, read 839,401 times

Advertisements

I believe Heritage Hunt was originally built by U. S. Homes, till they were bought out by Lennar in 2007. Dominion Valley and Regency at Dominion Valley were / are built by Toll Brothers.

Can anyone comment on the actual build quality of homes in both communities, and more generally on the reputation for lasting, durable, high quality construction for any of these builers?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM

486 posts, read 1,661,630 times
I have some family who lives in Heritage Hunt and they're house seems build well. They haven't had any issues with it thusfar. Sorry I don't know more than that.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,566,513 times
My mom's house in HH was built in 2008 by Lennar. No major complaints that I know except one - they used the wrong type of pipes or material or something for the plumbing and did not insulate the pipes, so pipe breaks are common. My mom just had one the other day.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,755,264 times
My parents were original owners at HH. They moved in before Christmas 1999. It was US Homes. Some of the siding on the garage had bowing problems. They said that it was within certain tolerances (hogwash). The big problem was heating. Very poor design, and the furnace was in the attic. Them and their neighbors all had sky high utility bills. They used to only shop between 10am and 2 pm because the traffic was so bad getting across I-66. Fairly high HOA that has a proprietary phone system. Lots of problems with golf course management. The house across the street peaked at about 700K, it was on a "premium lot" because it backed up to the woods. You could see the plywood buckling underneath the shingles, from it not being spaced properly to allow for expansion. They sold and moved to Manassas, and bought a 1994 NVR home, which is much better built. They are obviously happier there, and I think they actually like the kids playing in the street.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone; it is very much appreciated!

marie5v: could you ask your mom for more specific details about the plumbing problems and how common / widespread the problem is? (Water damage is something that can probably get really expensive really fast)

khuntrevor: may I ask if your parents home had a basement or was slab foundation?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,566,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone; it is very much appreciated!

marie5v: could you ask your mom for more specific details about the plumbing problems and how common / widespread the problem is? (Water damage is something that can probably get really expensive really fast)

khuntrevor: may I ask if your parents home had a basement or was slab foundation?

I will ask and get back to you. Are we talking about HH specifically here as a place to live, or just the home builder in general? If HH, I would have to say that the above post might be a little too negative (or at least that not all HH owners have all of those concerns) - but if not, then it doesn't matter.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM

It was a single level 2/2 with 2 cg about 1700 sf (no basement). They paid 221K, and sold for 285K in 2003. Probably not worth much more than that now.

See the trusses? That house was only 3 yo at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Build Quality of Homes in Heritage Hunt and Dominion Valley (U. S. Homes / Lennar and Toll Brothers)?-hhroofdefect.jpg  

Last edited by khuntrevor; 04-18-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM

I am doing preliminary research on a retirement home for my parents so any input from people that live or have lived there in the past is greatly appreciated. I live in Virginia Beach and polybutylene plumbing from homes built in 70s, 80s, and even early 90s is widespread throughout the area but no realtor ever lists it here on MLS. Doesn't sound like NoVA has problem such as Chinese Drywall, but I am curious about the pipe problem (copper, pex, or PVC, why it is susceptible to bursting). And if there are any other common problems to this community or area that all realtors conveniently never mention on MLS and may only come up at home inspection time.

From pictures I have seen, Heritage Hunt appears to be well built and seems to have a convenient location to that large mall down the road and easy access on and off I-66.

Regency at Dominion Valley seems overpriced and has very high HOA. Regular Dominion Valley is really nice, still kind of expensive except for attached carriage houses, and most don't have first floor master my parents need.

Other question to ask your mom if anyone has any problems with moisture / flooding in basements, and that is reason sump pump is required in all homes. Sounds like it is code for the area, but would also like to know specific reason it is code for whole area.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM

I believe HH still owns the golf course, which IMO is a huge negative, even though golf is a great sport.
Golf courses tend to lose money--guess who will be covering the shortfall? A golf course lot or view, like on the Springfield Country Cub, is a real asset, but you don't ever want to be in on the ownership. Water rates, labor issues, the weather all factor in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia