Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,263 times

Advertisements

I was pulled over today for a HOV violation on 66 (1 mile away from 495). The far left lane is HOV only. I know this...i was in the center lane and a car was stopped trying to get into the right lane and so I passed him on the left. By doing so, I entered into the HOV lane and the cop pulled me over for HOV violation. I was in the HOV for 10seconds maybe. This is my first offense. Should I fight it in court or not waste my time and just pay? Its a $200 fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,544,024 times
i thought during the restriction times, all of 66 in a certain direction was HOV? am i wrong about this?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,263 times
Default Reply

Yes, its all HOV AFTER you pass 495. This was just before you pass 495 when only the left hand lane is HOV

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,544,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkimkim View Post
Yes, its all HOV AFTER you pass 495. This was just before you pass 495 when only the left hand lane is HOV
gotcha. that's a pretty ****ty thing for the cop to do. you can try going to court and plead not guilty but unless you can produce a notarized statement from a witness i don't know that it will do you any good

Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,404,199 times
Since it is a no points violation, just pay the fine and mail it in. The main reason for going to court is to get a reckless dropped or to try to avoid points.

You don't really have a case since you already admitted to entering the HOV lane and so are guilty.

$200 is quite lame for 10 seconds in the hov lane, but you knew that when you pulled into the lane.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,830,254 times
I drive on 66 every day. I see people cut in and over ALL the time, and here I am, the doofus that sits stuck in a lane because I won't go into the HOV....and this is precisely why. Every day this happens and even though you were only in it for 10 seconds, I see it happen frequently and I think that the cops are getting tired of it....that or the HOVrs themselves. What really sucks is when the two right lanes are blocked and that leaves only the HOV and one regular lane....but you know - the HOV still applies so you just can't use that lane period - not even for 10 seconds. Sorry - I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this one because the HOV lane is abused so frequently.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,124,704 times
You took the chance and lost.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM

648 posts, read 1,326,534 times
I don't understand why people even think that's ok.
And I'm jealous that HOV violations here are so cheap!! In CA, carpool violations are $400 - and that's just for the ticket. Doesn't include costs for traffic school.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 PM

509 posts, read 968,646 times
I don't usually chime in on these sort of threads - but it seems to me the HOV rules are pretty explicit. It doesn't mean it is OK to use that lane as a passing lane when you don't meet the rules for driving in the HOV lane. In fact if lots of people zipped in and out of the HOV lane like that it would probably slow up the flow of traffic in the HOV lane. Then again maybe I'm jaded as I have a Prius with legal plates allowed to drive in the HOV lanes, and I can't count the number of times I had people shouting at me to get out of the HOV lane because I was the only driver in the car when I was in the HOV lane and keeping up with the speed of traffic in it, so not impeding the flow of it! I'm really glad my commute changed 3 years ago so I don't go on I-66 anymore and don't have to worry about that anymore. Of course, maybe back then people weren't as aware of the rule allowing hybrids in it. In any event, I saw too many people disobeying the HOV rules, and too many people trying to indicate to me I was disobeying them! I'm not too sorry to see those who disobey the rules get caught.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,488,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkimkim View Post
I was pulled over today for a HOV violation on 66 (1 mile away from 495). The far left lane is HOV only. I know this...i was in the center lane and a car was stopped trying to get into the right lane and so I passed him on the left. By doing so, I entered into the HOV lane and the cop pulled me over for HOV violation. I was in the HOV for 10seconds maybe. This is my first offense. Should I fight it in court or not waste my time and just pay? Its a $200 fine.
If there was a lane actually closed with an accident scene, etc., you might have some room to plead for mercy. But just using it as a passing lane? No dice.

(owns an old-skewl hybrid tag with his handicapped wife)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia