Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:25 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Toll Brothers' quality is not that good in Virginia. The construction boom caused a lot of rush plus shortage of skilled labor. It does not matter which division or what size of the house or lot. Toll Brothers may have nice floor plans and design features, but the workmanship and house quality is no better (and no worse) than most of the production builders such as Lennar. I have several friends who bought Toll Brothers homes and they are not thrilled by the quality.

Toll Brothers also builds big houses in Western Loudoun (Leesburg across Route 7 from Beacon Hill, Waterford, etc.). Those are on 3+ acre lots. The quality of those houses are no better than the ones they build on the 1/2 acre lots. Compared to the custom built houses in Beacon Hill across the road from their Shenstone community in Leesburg, the difference is very obvious.

Two good semi -production builders are Gulick and Basheer & Edgemore. Two good production builders are NV and Craftmark.
Thanks for the tip. It is consistent with what I heard. So would you buy a Gulick home over Toll Brothers, most other variables being similiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM

531 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Thanks for the tip. It is consistent with what I heard. So would you buy a Gulick home over Toll Brothers, most other variables being similiar?
Absolutely. The thing is Gulick only builds in a few communities. So there will not be as many communities to choose from, especially if you want 1+ acres.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:02 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I know you're looking in Loudoun, but there's a Gulick community in Vienna called Full Cry Farm, where there are currently several houses that were built in the 1990s on sale. If you go on line and check the listings, you might get a sense as to the quality of the construction and how they've held up over the years. My general impression regarding some of the Toll Brothers projects in NoVa is similar to other posters.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:51 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
The Gulicks in Brambleton have an excellent reputation (and price tag to match). Some things that are upgrades in other homes are standard in the Gulicks (like four sides brick), and they offer quite a few structural options to their floorplans. If I were looking at Gulick vs. Toll in a comparable price range, I would absolutely take the Gulick.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I know you're looking in Loudoun, but there's a Gulick community in Vienna called Full Cry Farm, where there are currently several houses that were built in the 1990s on sale. If you go on line and check the listings, you might get a sense as to the quality of the construction and how they've held up over the years. My general impression regarding some of the Toll Brothers projects in NoVa is similar to other posters.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I really do not like to live close to the Beltway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
The Gulicks in Brambleton have an excellent reputation (and price tag to match). Some things that are upgrades in other homes are standard in the Gulicks (like four sides brick), and they offer quite a few structural options to their floorplans. If I were looking at Gulick vs. Toll in a comparable price range, I would absolutely take the Gulick.
Unfortunately for me, the Gulick house in Brambleton has two strikes against it. The yards are smaller (.6 acre. vs. 1 acre), neighboring homes closer and the location is less convenient (takes longer to get out of the neighborhood to the highways). I like the four sides of brick and the higher quality, certainly, but the rooms look a bit more crowded compared to the Toll Bros. home I am considering.

Thank you for the ideas and the advice.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion.

I really do not like to live close to the Beltway.
I understood that, and wasn't suggesting you look in Vienna instead of Loudoun County. The only point was that the Full Cry Farms houses might give you an idea of how some Gulick homes built around 10-15 years ago had aged.

I personally am not a big fan of Toll Brothers, but I'm sure some of their homes/developments are nicer than others.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I understood that, and wasn't suggesting you look in Vienna instead of Loudoun County. The only point was that the Full Cry Farms houses might give you an idea of how some Gulick homes built around 10-15 years ago had aged.

I personally am not a big fan of Toll Brothers, but I'm sure some of their homes/developments are nicer than others.
Got it. Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,649 times
HI-

We just sold our house and live in the apartments in Loudoun Valley Estates area and we are waiting for our house to be built by Toll Brothers - they are good quality - we checked all the others in the area next to Loudoun Valley but we liked Toll Brothers the best. They have a club house with lots of classes including ZUMBA. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-02-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM

262 posts, read 840,924 times
You may want to check Toll Brothers website and see if they just dropped list price for home you are interested in.

I just check Regency at Dominion Valley and I see $10, $25K, possibly more off previous list price (there was previously $40K in incentives, so maybe they are juggling things around, but personally would rather start with lower list price and add upgrades etc I want, either by toll or aftermarket).

Double Dip Recession in housing nationally is now official (News Headlines) and I think builders may already see writing on wall.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

15 posts, read 22,782 times
Toll Brothers puts out an excellent end product....however, my experience is that you have to stay on top of the building process to ensure everything is as you would like (which should be perfection!) Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising is not allowed per the Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia