U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 PM

414 posts, read 894,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im trying to avoid LC threads, but I think I can add something that lowers the temp, maybe

There are at several different issues here, and as JEB says, they dont always correlate.

1. The planning questions relating to density - rural land, environmental issues, financial impacts of different development patterns, etc, etc. While discussions of those can get heated, I think it should be possible to discuss them, and they are essential to determining the desirability of different public policy options

2. The purely aesthetic impact of generally unplanned development - like certain parts of where I live in Annandale, where a combination of helter skelter unplanned development of shopping centers, roads built purely to move vehicles with little thought to their aesthetics, even the placement of overhead power lines, etc, add up to something I think most folks would call unattractive. Granted its aesthetics, and I suppose we would never achieve unanamity, but I think enough consensus could be reached, that the aesthetic benefits of redevelopment could be factored in

3. The aesthetics of particular housing styles or particular houses. While I think it IS possible to have an intelligent discussion of aesthetics that transcends gut reactions - as one can have intelligent discussions of the aesthetics of music, or literature, or wine, so one can have such discussions of buildings - experience shows that its very difficult to have such discussions on the internet without it devolving into something very personal. Maybe on an architecture site like Archinect - but not in a place people come to focused on their pride in their homes and communities. Anyway, for the most part I think its difficult to make THIS kind of aesthetic issue a subject for policy - so its not really necessary to have a community discourse on it.

4. The broad issue of homogeneity of housing styles. I think that whole issue is fairly complex - there are places such homogeneity works and places it does not, and I dont think the simple existence of it necessarily proves anything.

edit - note well - the aesthetic concerns i mentioned in point 2 above are, AFAICT, uncommon in planned communities like Ashburn. They are more typical of somewhat older suburban areas - though of course planned communities designed to specifically avoid those things, like Columbia and Reston, are older than that.

You know, in reading back I now see that a good reply I had typed up to your post here, and thought I had posted, somehow did not get posted. *sigh* Gotta love computers / the interwebs sometimes.

Anyway, I'm not going to retype everything here from memory because it was a while ago, but I basically stated that I agreed with your entire post here. If I could rate it positively I would but as usual, I keep getting the dreaded " you must spread some reputation around before giving it to so and so user again" message.

All very valid and reasonable points, which I agree with fully, and tried to use to clarify my opinion even further, but alas, it somehow never made it here.

As I already stated, I never put anyone down for chosing to live anywhere, and have stated multiple times that my opinion is just that, mine, and nothing more. It is not fact, nor is it to be taken in any such way to put anyone down, nor was it meant in any such way. If I had meant it in that way I would have said something to the affect that people who live in Ashburn are all ugly loving nimrods or something like that. I did not say anything of the sort. But, because I have my opinion that others may not like about possibly where they live, I suppose they will take it personally anyawy, and be insulted by it. The reality of it is, they should not be.

I also fully agree that it is hard to have certain discussions over an online forum, especially the kind we are having here, that you so wonderfully point out in your post. I suppose I can sort of understand why / how some might get upset and/ or take it personally, even though I feel they should not. I certainly don't. Never have and never will. I suppose if it becomes a matter of pride or something of the sort than someones feelings can more easily get "hurt" or stepped on because that can be construed as something very personal, though I don't think it SHOULD be. Where someone lives does not really make the person who they are. I suppose if it did then perhaps I would not be able to have friends that range from million dollar mansions, to lower income housing in some less than perfect parts of D.C. Honestly, I have a hard time understanding why anyone in any sort of online forum gets upset/angry and / or bent out of shape over something, unless it is a direct insult, hateful, racist, bigoted remark aimed directly at someone or some group. I Just cant get that worked up about someone else differing opinion on an internet forum. Anyway, dinner time then time to watch the Caps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,113,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
I suppose if it becomes a matter of pride or something of the sort than someones feelings can more easily get "hurt" or stepped on because that can be construed as something very personal, though I don't think it SHOULD be.
Nobody is "hurt" here. At most, I think at least some people are annoyed with geographical snobbery. I certainly am. And I don't even live in Ashburn (for the record, I did for a while and still own property there -- I liked somethings about it and I didn't care for a few other things; on the whole I found it a very nice, family friendly area).
Quote:
Honestly, I have a hard time understanding why anyone in any sort of online forum gets upset/angry and / or bent out of shape over something, unless it is a direct insult, hateful, racist, bigoted remark aimed directly at someone or some group.
Again, no one is "upset/angry and/or bent out of shape" except maybe you. But thanks for setting the bar for what should and should not upset people. My personal bar is don't call other people's town "ugly, soulless, charmless, Soviet-era housing-like" etc. I just say what I do and do not like about such and such town.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-18-2011 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: personal attack; removed related quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia