Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM

501 posts, read 1,188,853 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on Warrenton, Gainesville, Haymarket?

Specifically....Rental costs, utilities, shopping (Target, Walmart?). How do these cities compare in size to other nearby cities? Are these cities considered small or are they more of a larger size?

I don't need any school info.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,574,350 times
These are "cities" in the western part of NOVA, some arguably not NOVA at all. They are really on the outskirts of suburbia and getting into rural Virginia, except Gainesville, which is the closest in and definitely suburban. It's a little more spacious and less traffic congested than areas like Fairfax and Arlington. Also, cheaper. Going directly west from there you quickly hit Haymarket, which barely qualifies as a town, much less a city. Little country town comes to mind. It's not quite prosperous enough to be called quaint, but has a kind of country appeal in my opinion. More rural than suburban, and cheaper than anything east of it. But they are building fast out there, so it will probably become more like Gainesville eventually. Warrenton I am not really familiar with, but it's even further out, not really commutable to most parts of NOVA, so probably cheaper than the other two. So none of them are really cities in the traditional sense - Gainesville is sprawling suburbia, Haymarket is a small town, and Warrenton I'm not sure about but it's definitely not urban. Probably more like Haymarket.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Marie - Thank you! We are relocating from out of state (job related) and are trying to find somewhere inexpensive to rent (not buy) that is country-like Winchester, but closer to Dulles, where my hubby will be working. He doesn't want to have a 75+ mile commute, but we can't afford to be living in Leesburg. Any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Warrenton is probably more similar to Winchester but on a much smaller scale. It has a small town atmosphere and a downtown area. Gainesville is essentially suburban sprawl. Haymarket has a rural feel with a small town center. But I understand there is much growth there, too. I haven't been there in many years.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 PM

53 posts, read 74,003 times
I think of the 3, you'll probably like Warrenton the most. It's really a charming town that allows you to feel removed from the city sprawl, but still has a lot of the everyday life things you'll need. It will also be a bit cheaper for rentals.

But I caution you against the drive from Warrenton to Dulles in the mornings. 29 North can get pretty crowded just getting to 66 East. And 66 East can be an absolute parking lot in that direction depending on what time you leave for work.

You may want to look at places between Haymarket and Gainesville simply because that will get you closer to 66.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,864,475 times
^ I agree.
Warrenton to Dullas will be a hike and could be a traffic nightmare depending on time of day.
Although not "country" Haymarket and Gainsville would be the better choice...esp for the first year. (or 6mo lease ifyou can get one)
After a year you will a better idea of the traffic, commute times etc...

What is your budget? I used to live in Leesburg and there are quite a few older aptments and small houses that might work for you. I can't see Gainsville being that much cheaper, since there is soo much new builds in the area.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM

We want to keep our rental costs to approx. $900/mo., if possible, so we are looking at maybe renting from an individual rather than an apartment. I'm not sure what utilities run, but I'm assuming that they're not too costly.
The commute to Dulles would be once or twice a week, very early in the morning (5am ish), as hubby is a flight attendant.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:11 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,603,048 times
You are not going to find anything in Haymarket/Gainesville/Bristow for $900. Keep dreaming! Townhomes in the area start at $1600 a month and go up from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia