Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,605 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NoVa very soon and looking for neighborhood with a reasonable commute to the McLean/Langley area. We are looking for a SFH (1980+) with a budget up to $420k and decent schools. I've been considering areas as far out as Leesburg, Haymarket, and Lake Ridge. My husband will be working 9-9 rotating shifts (sometimes am-pm, other times pm-am), so he'll only have to worry about morning rush hour into McLean about 10 days a month. Are these areas feasible for commuting? What do the commute times look like for both on and off-peak hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 AM

30 posts, read 103,314 times
You are looking at a long commute from all of those locations, both on and off peak. Leesburg is probably the easiest off-peak. Using the Greenway (267) from Leesburg, which is a toll road that allows for faster travel times, you're looking at around 30 minutes on Sunday morning at 3 am. Route 7 would be a bit longer.

Haymarket would require you to use I-66 and Lake Ridge would send you up I-95, which are probably the most congested roads in the area for rush hour commuters. Don't use the mileage as an indicator of the commute time, especially during rush hour, because most of the commute will be well below the speed limit.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Have you considered Ashburn? It is closer to Langley/McLean than Leesburg. Also, check out 20165 in Sterling, the Countryside or Broad Run Farms area has detached homes in your price range. Also, 20164 in the Seneca Ridge area or Sugarland Run has homes in your price range. High school would be either Potomac Falls or Dominion. You can take Georgetown Pike to work, it goes right past the CIA and is a much pleasanter, albeit slow, commute than route 7 would be. Try homesdatabase.com for your home search.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Cascades in Sterling or Lowes Island would be in your budget and a much better commute than Leesburg or Ashburn.

getting in at 9am will be the worst part. But also comming home at 9am will be rough until you are past 495, then easy.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyntersun View Post
We are moving to NoVa very soon and looking for neighborhood with a reasonable commute to the McLean/Langley area. We are looking for a SFH (1980+) with a budget up to $420k and decent schools. I've been considering areas as far out as Leesburg, Haymarket, and Lake Ridge. My husband will be working 9-9 rotating shifts (sometimes am-pm, other times pm-am), so he'll only have to worry about morning rush hour into McLean about 10 days a month. Are these areas feasible for commuting? What do the commute times look like for both on and off-peak hours?
Of the areas you mention, Leesburg is the straightest shot. Haymarket and Lake Ridge would be terrible during your husband's rush hour commutes.

The Greenway can get pricey ($4 each way) if you use it day-in, day-out. I'd take 7-28-267 in the off-hours commutes.

I'd avoid anything zoned to Park View in Loudoun County or Potomac/Gar-Field/Freedom in Prince William. (Those are the high schools, most of their elementary feeders aren't so hot either.)

If you can find anything in Ashburn or Sterling given your wishes, consider that unless you have to live within walking distance of downtown Leesburg or something like that.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
I commute into McLean from Woodbridge now. Going in, I go up 123 (this TOTALLY depends on your time going in - I leave the house at 6am, so traffic isn't bad). It's about an hour, hour and 15 minute commute. If you go up 95, it's going to be about as bad. Coming home, avoid 123 like the plague, backs up at fairfax something fierce..it took me over 2 hours to get home one day. I come home down 95 now via the GW Parkway. Bout an hour and 15 on a bad day. On warm days I commute in on my motorcycle. Straight up HOV and hit the GW, takes about half an hour, 40 minutes. Same coming home.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Coming home, avoid 123 like the plague, backs up at fairfax something fierce..it took me over 2 hours to get home one day.
My daughter used to attend high school in Fairfax and commute home on 123 to Woodbridge. You are correct, in the aftern, the couple of intersections starting in Fairfax City through the George Mason area can be brutal. After that, it's all good though.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,605 times
Thank you for the advice! We are currently under contract for a house in River Oaks in southern Woodbridge, east of 95. We thought that my husband's job would be at Fort Belvoir, but have found out since then that it will be in Langley. Due to the delay in getting his employment contract, it looks like the sales contract is going to fall through and the house will be going back on the market. We're going to be taking advantage of this and finding a house within a better commute. It's really such a shame that the VRE doesn't extend up that way.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 AM

36 posts, read 75,001 times
Virginia state govt has approved VRE out to Haymarket...but has no budget for it (to upgrade track, add station). One day, maybe.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
River Oaks is a nice area. Not sure about Potomac HS though, I haven't heard much good about it. I went to Gar-Field. It's not a *bad* school overall, it's mostly the kids not caring about their grades or just not behaving overall. Wife works there as a math teacher, I hear the good and the bad. I agree with the rest though, anything south of fairfax county or much farther west is going to be a bear of a commute - I'd die if I didn't have the motorcycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia