Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 41,445 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm relocating for work (Bolling AFB) and figured Alexandria would be a good place to rent an apartment.

I've just looked at the new Midtown Alexandria condos across the street from Huntington Metro, and just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on safety of the area, especially outside the Metro station.

There is nothing really near the building, except some townhouses next door. However, driving down Huntington Avenue towards Rt 1, the area starts to look pretty sketchy (run-down looking strip malls, panhandler, etc).
The condo complex itself is gorgeous and seems very secure. It would be a simple walk from the Metro station across the street to the building.

I plan to drive to work, but would like to take the Metro for trips into DC, and later for work when my job moves there in next year.

thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
We lived near that area 4 years ago and it was sketchy then. However, it is very convenient to live within walking distance to any metro station. If you want to look for recent crime activity in the area, check out the "Crime report for Fairfax County" under the Washington Post online. You can input the address and check for crimes reported nearby.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 AM

30 posts, read 187,805 times
I saw some of the ads for this new high rise, and the prices seemed quite reasonable for such new units. I was also a bit concerned about the area, but since it's right across from the Metro Station, thought it might be decent. haven't had a chance yet to check it out in person.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be going for strolls in the neighborhood, in daytime or evening, and there isn't much around there to see anyway. I guess I was more worried about any unsavory characters that might hang around the area outside the Metro itself.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 AM

I was browsing their website last night, and they mentioned a $350/month condo fee. I'm not sure if renters will need to pay that, but it kinda takes the cake away if you're paying $1300 for a 1 br, and 25% additional is required for the fee.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM

OK, just emailed one of their sales reps.

$1300 for a 571 sq. foot studio, may come with a parking space in the garage. Apartment renters will not have to pay the $350 condo fee.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM

PTOguy,

Thanks for looking that up. I rented the place today. The rent does include the condo fee, and the units are really nice. Mine faces the back of the building (overlooking the pool and the Metro train line), but because the windows are double-glazed, you can't even hear the train go by. A bit of a bummer not being able to open the windows, but the rest of the unit and the building really make up for it! I spoke with the property manager for the HOA, who was great and put me at ease that I won't be considered a second-rate citizen for being a renter and not an owner. The area is perhaps not the best, but, who knows, maybe with this building and the new townhomes next door, things will slowly shape up over time.

Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Congrats katemc1, which unit did you get, and how much rent do you have to pay?

How is the surrounding area and parking? I won't be able to visit until next week, but my thought is that since it's right across from the Metro station, perhaps the surrounding neighborhood won't be too bad, and perhaps they'll develop that area in time.

One other concern is just how much they'll increase rent after my 1 year lease is up. Otherwise, pricewise, it sounds very tempting for a new room close to work.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Ours is a one bedroom without a den, and the rent is $1600. Have to admit, we are completely new to DC/No VA, and had just 2 days to come up and find a place. So, this move is bit of a gamble.

Can't really say much about the area, except that the two small strip malls down the road do not look very good. Some of the units face out over the pool/metro line, others face Old Town Alexandria/Masonic temple, which I think would have been nicer. Sorry I can't tell you more. My hope is that the condo home owners and the town homes next door will be a bright spot in the neighborhood, so perhaps in time the area will be developed further.

It is a risk renting from an individual, as they could bump up the rent, but when I met the condo owner, who has several properties, I could see he was very organized and thorough, so there was a good feeling there. In any case, I've heard of people who get into big apartment complexes that entice you with specials (ie: cheap deposit, half-off one month rent, and then after the first year their rent goes up astronomically).

I noticed that another condo in this building was advertised on Craigslist with three separate postings with three different e-mails for response? Huh? Sounds dodgy to me. Our landlord is also a licensed realtor and like I said, was very thorough.

I guess I would check out the area at day and after dark, and then see what you think of the person renting the place. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 PM

42 posts, read 280,769 times
The strip mall on Kings Highway across the street from the parking lot of the Metro station has a good Bosnian restaurant, worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia