Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM

38 posts, read 70,511 times

Advertisements

I have inherited a Rolex Submariner watch, bought new in 1983. It has never been serviced and needs a cleaning.

Does anyone have experience with the local watchmakers in the noVA region? I know some Rolex authorized dealers will just ship out your watch to a service center and charge you a "middle man" fee but I have heard of other stores (in other states) that have an in house watchmaker that can do repairs and have an authorized parts account to replace and swap parts out. I'm more interested in the latter (locally preferred), to actually talk to the in-house watchmaker and discuss what work needs to be done on the watch.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,753 times
I've had good watch (and jewelry) repairs done at JJ Watches in Fair Oaks Mall. I have not had a Rolex done there. They advertise that they service Rolex's but I'm not sure if they are authorized or not. I believe the watchmaker is not in on Sundays so if you go visit, pick another day (but you can still drop off/pick up on Sunday). Probably worth a phone call first.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Alabaster Watch & Clock Repair This is right in the heart of Vienna. John Alabaster was trained by Rolex in Europe. My husband goes there with his watches.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Rolex owns the only "official" service centers in the US. All other watchmakers who service them are independent, though they may have been trained by Rolex. New York and Dallas are the official Rolex service centers in the US. The New York office is at 665 Fifth Avenue, phone : (212) 758-7700. Rolex differs in that they warranty the repair work on the watch, though I've never had a warranty issue directly from Rolex.

You should have the watch serviced every 3-5 years, especially if it is worn. Gaskets can dry out with a Rolex over time, so I would not wear your Submariner anywhere near water until it's serviced. You would not want water to enter the movement, as that could result in a $2k repair.

A local watchmaker is fine for many issues, but if you are going to an official dealer who is going to send it to Rolex, you can contact them yourself and send/bring the watch for repair, and not pay the middleman fee. Rolex has been very finicky about selling official parts to outside watchmakers, as their own service centers use new official Rolex parts, not after-market. So, I would compare the level of service, and price, based upon that criterion, since the official Rolex service might be slightly more expensive, but a local watchmaker might be using harvested or after-market parts to repair/service.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia