Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM

13 posts, read 21,159 times

Advertisements

'Parents' or that coalition who is on some zealous drive to change our schools as they see fit, masqueraded as advocacy groups. What was her name again... Catherine Lorenze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc7171 View Post
'Parents' or that coalition who is on some zealous drive to change our schools as they see fit, masqueraded as advocacy groups. What was her name again... Catherine Lorenze.
Not quite following that post. Care to explain?

If I recall correctly, Catherine Lorenze was one of the supporters of FairGrade, which successfully lobbied to get the grading scale changed in FCPS so that FCPS students wouldn't be even further at a disadvantage when, for example, applying to college. I recently read that she's also the campaign manager for Louise Epstein, who is challenging Jane Strauss, the incumbent School Board member in the Dranesville District.

Lorenze also has a blog on issues relating to the public schools:

Red Apple Mom

She's obviously quite opinionated, but she's not a shill for either political party and I think a lot of parents care about the issues she discusses.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,841,585 times
I feel bad for the Clifton parents. It's a shame that the town's only elementary school will close, especially against most residents' wishes. The longer I live here, the more I am dissatisfied with FCPS.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
Yet another example of the removal of the human factor in decisions. I am saddened by this, but totally understand why the courts upheld the school board's decision. Maybe some generous benefactor will preserve the school for continued use as a community meeting place/hub.
Better yet, a private school that can't be closed on a whim. I know what some people are hoping that FCPS will let it be a charter school but the administration are such control freaks, I can't imagine them allowing ANY charter school, anywhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Not quite following that post. Care to explain?

If I recall correctly, Catherine Lorenze was one of the supporters of FairGrade, which successfully lobbied to get the grading scale changed in FCPS so that FCPS students wouldn't be even further at a disadvantage when, for example, applying to college. I recently read that she's also the campaign manager for Louise Epstein, who is challenging Jane Strauss, the incumbent School Board member in the Dranesville District.

Lorenze also has a blog on issues relating to the public schools:

Red Apple Mom

She's obviously quite opinionated, but she's not a shill for either political party and I think a lot of parents care about the issues she discusses.
Good post. Louise has helped hundreds, if not thousands, of parents over the last 20 years. She will make a GREAT school board member, one who really cares about the students and the parents. She also a supporter of teachers, but FCPS administration? Not so much.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc7171 View Post
Huh? They ARE parents and they ARE advocates for parents and students. Teachers have their unions, er, ''associations'' and the school administration can do whatever they want in any school. It's about time that the parents and students had a group advocating for them! The school board sure doesn't care what parents want.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Quote:
So why was tiny Vienna ES, with only 20 more students than Clifton, renovated just a few years earlier, and not shut down? Just as shutting Clifton down is now going to require FCPS to build costly additions at three existing schools, one could probably have built additions at Cunningham Park, Freedom Hill and Marshall Road ES and closed down Vienna ES. Maybe there's an answer, but Liz Bradsher decided to engage in personal attacks on Clifton residents rather than deal with the facts.
FWIW, Vienna ES is on public water; that was one of the concerns (unsafe well water @ Clifton ES) along with the increased cost of keeping Clifton open. My first thought was, admittedly, "Bunch of rich whiners," but they do have very good points about how the FCSB handled this -- and it seems the cost of keeping Clifton open wasn't *that* great. There could have been a better way of handling it.

I'd vote against Stu Gibson if I still lived in Vienna. However, I do have my suspicions about the opposition to the current FCPS regime, whether they have any ideas other than "cut spending," "cut teacher salaries," and "let them eat cake."

When the Clifton ES parents/advocates start grumbling about 'socio-economic engineering' they do start coming off as offputting, IMO. There's enough to oppose how the School Board has handled this on the facts alone; there's no need to open the race/class can of worms.

As for some insider wanting the land -- I'm not sure about that. It's not like you can buy the land for a song and then put up "Clifton Town Center" due to the Occuquan zoning restrictions. That'd have been more a concern if they had shut down Vienna ES.

Last edited by stpickrell; 06-08-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
FWIW, Vienna ES is on public water; that was one of the concerns (unsafe well water @ Clifton ES) along with the increased cost of keeping Clifton open. My first thought was, admittedly, "Bunch of rich whiners," but they do have very good points about how the FCSB handled this -- and it seems the cost of keeping Clifton open wasn't *that* great. There could have been a better way of handling it.

I'd vote against Stu Gibson if I still lived in Vienna. However, I do have my suspicions about the opposition to the current FCPS regime, whether they have any ideas other than "cut spending," "cut teacher salaries," and "let them eat cake."

When the Clifton ES parents/advocates start grumbling about 'socio-economic engineering' they do start coming off as offputting, IMO. There's enough to oppose how the School Board has handled this on the facts alone; there's no need to open the race/class can of worms.

As for some insider wanting the land -- I'm not sure about that. It's not like you can buy the land for a song and then put up "Clifton Town Center" due to the Occuquan zoning restrictions. That'd have been more a concern if they had shut down Vienna ES.
There were concerns about the water at Clifton, but the engineers hired by FCSP determined that the water quality was fine shortly before the vote to close Clifton. FCPS sat on that information so that it wasn't readily available prior to the vote. It wasn't the information Liz Bradsher and Dean Tisdadt wanted to hear.

As to the "social engineering" comments by some Clifton parents, I agree with you completely, although - at least on message boards - I'm convinced that a lot of those comments were "planted" by those who wanted to close Clifton in order to portray the parents as elitists. Having said that, it's understandible that parents were frustrated with a proposal to close one of the highest-performing schools in the county, particularly when it played such an important role in the community. When all is said and done, I wonder how much - if any - money really will be saved by closing this school. In the short term, FCPS will have to spend millions of dollars to build additions at a minimum of three other elementary schools.

As to the platform of the "opponents" to the current FCPS regime, I don't think they're arguing to "cut teacher spending," but instead to cut out administrative positions. Admittedly, even that is far easier said than done (the devil is in the details), but most of the current crop of challengers would probably raise teacher salaries if they could, not cut them.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Quote:
There were concerns about the water at Clifton, but the engineers hired by FCSP determined that the water quality was fine shortly before the vote to close Clifton. FCPS sat on that information so that it wasn't readily available prior to the vote. It wasn't the information Liz Bradsher and Dean Tisdadt wanted to hear.

As to the "social engineering" comments by some Clifton parents, I agree with you completely, although - at least on message boards - I'm convinced that a lot of those comments were "planted" by those who wanted to close Clifton in order to portray the parents as elitists. Having said that, it's understandible that parents were frustrated with a proposal to close one of the highest-performing schools in the county, particularly when it played such an important role in the community.

When all is said and done, I wonder how much - if any - money really will be saved by closing this school. In the short term, FCPS will have to spend millions of dollars to build additions at a minimum of three other elementary schools.
Good points all -- I would be *very* suspicious about message board posts from very new users. I'm still convinced that many extremists on one side or the other of any issue are trolls from the other side (e.g. the biggest racists/hicks will be plants from the NAACP and the biggest welfare state defenders will be plants from conservative groups.)

And yeah, the savings from closing Clifton ES would all get spent having to renovate the adjoining schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: