Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,650 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thank you! I am considering a 5-year relocation to a company in Aldie, VA. I know nothing about traffic patterns, etc. in that area and am looking for advice on where to live. Per the moderator's request, I have answered the questions below...I would appreciate anyone's insight, and can email on the side if that is easier.

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working - WORKING IN ALDIE, VA

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - PROBABLY RENT A HOUSE FOR THE TIME, IN THE $3000.00 PER MONTH RANGE

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - UP TO 45 MINUTES

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - PUBLIC, AND THIS IS MY TOP TOP PRIORITY...EXCELLENT ELELMENTARY SCHOOLS!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - SMALL CITY IS PERFECT, BUT I DO WANT A YARD, ETC. SO WOULD GO MORE RURAL OR SUBURBAN IF NEEDED

-Community amenities important to you - LOW CRIME / GOOD SCHOOLS

-Pie or cake? - DEFINITELY CHOCOLATE CAKE

We would only be looking to be there for 5 or so years, with our kids being about 1 and about 5 when we moved, so really elementary schools are the most important. I would not want to be TOO rural, as my wife will be home with the kids in a new place, and I want her to have as little "isolation" syndrome as possible. Also, I would want to spend some weekends, etc. exploring DC.

The final consideration would be my commute, meaning that the family is much more important. Aldie is out near Dulles, so maybe I could find a place that is closer in to DC and commute "backwards?"

I am coming from LA, so bad traffic is not as bad to me as to others...

I am so appreciative of any help or suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
Brambleton!!!

Close to Aldie (15-20 minutes or so); great schools; walkable neighborhood; town center with restaurants, movie theater, grocery store, shops; wonderful community!

Here's the photo tour I did a while back. I should probably update it since there's now a gym and a lot more houses since then...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Shoot a lot of people would love to be in your situation!! Most people LIVE in Aldie and WORK in D.C. or closer into D.C. For everything you want you should definatly be looking near your job, why not look at South Riding? It is right in the heart of Aldie, lots of neighborhood perks, good schools and lots of stay at home moms.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
We live in South Riding and love it. It doesn't have nearly as much retail, etc., that Ashburn does, but it's also less congested and built up. I agree with Teebyrd86, sweet commute!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
If you want built up, the various areas of South Riding and Ashburn would all work fine.

Have you considered Middleburg (this could work if you're not too far along on Route 50)? $3k ought to get you one of the places in town (or a smaller out of town spread) but I don't know how robust the rental market is.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
I know rt. 50 is the only way in and outta there

Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
I'd live right in Aldie. It's not a city, but there are so few of them in NOVA anyway. It's totally suburban, but a very new and shiny suburban, where you can a whole lot of house for a little money (I imagine the same for rent). There are many communities with lots of kids.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
There's South Riding, Centreville, Chantilly or even Purcellville. I can take the back way from Purcellville and be in Aldie in around 30 minutes or so. Though with traffic it may take a bit more time.

ETA - There's also a mom's group she can join - http://www.novamommies.com

Last edited by Riley09swb; 06-08-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'd live right in Aldie. It's not a city, but there are so few of them in NOVA anyway. It's totally suburban, but a very new and shiny suburban, where you can a whole lot of house for a little money (I imagine the same for rent). There are many communities with lots of kids.
I agree! My wife and I looked at a quite nice farm house with 20 acres in Aldie. The house was a bit small for us and it was a bit too far from work, but the whole property was really attractive.

If the work were there, no doubt about it for me. Live in Aldie itself! It's a nice mix of exurban-rural and "civilization" is rather close by.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
South Riding!!! You will be going AGAINST traffic both ways and South Riding is very "kid friendly" and that is the reason my wife and I are LEAVING. Not much for adults without kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia