U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM

110 posts, read 236,900 times

Advertisements

Welp, been here just a little over a year since relocating from So Cal...

When we 1st moved here we were so pressed to find a place and get locked in. I had only a couple of days left on my house hunting trip back then and when we found this house in the Victoria Station area of Sterling we just loved it, so we pulled the trigger, dropped the deposit and signed the lease... And then back to L.A. I went to finish my project and pack up my house.

We love it here but now my little girl is starting Kindergarten and... Well, Sterling Elementary is the 1 and only option for where we live.

Absolutely no offense to anyone who has their kids there or the staff at that school but 1 of the reasons I moved out of Cali and specifically chose to move into Loudoun County was because the reputation of the great schools.

I just don't think Sterling Elementary is up there with the schools in say Ashburn and some of the surrounding Loudoun County schools.

We're looking @ South Riding. Any thoughts or feedback?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 AM

267 posts, read 489,442 times
I'm in Sterling too and will probably be faced with that problem in a few years. If the schools don't improve by then it'll be private school (ugh).

My friend's wife used to teach at Sterling Elementary and she said the main problem was half of the class barely spoke English (if at all). She had to repeat herself constantly and try to explain things in Spanish. Serious drag on productivity.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 AM

9,733 posts, read 9,165,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
Welp, been here just a little over a year since relocating from So Cal...

When we 1st moved here we were so pressed to find a place and get locked in. I had only a couple of days left on my house hunting trip back then and when we found this house in the Victoria Station area of Sterling we just loved it, so we pulled the trigger, dropped the deposit and signed the lease... And then back to L.A. I went to finish my project and pack up my house.

We love it here but now my little girl is starting Kindergarten and... Well, Sterling Elementary is the 1 and only option for where we live.

Absolutely no offense to anyone who has their kids there or the staff at that school but 1 of the reasons I moved out of Cali and specifically chose to move into Loudoun County was because the reputation of the great schools.

I just don't think Sterling Elementary is up there with the schools in say Ashburn and some of the surrounding Loudoun County schools.

We're looking @ South Riding. Any thoughts or feedback?

WHO steered you to Sterling? If you want the REAL Loudoun County school system then you need to look at South Riding, Ashburn, Brambelton.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,280,001 times
I'd look at Greatschools and the county school website as well ... they will provide info on test scores and percentages for ethnicity/ESOL/free-reduced lunches. Even Sterling north of Route 7 is better than Sterling south of route 7.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM

5,124 posts, read 9,525,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
WHO steered you to Sterling? If you want the REAL Loudoun County school system then you need to look at South Riding, Ashburn, Brambelton.
Some of the elementary schools in South Riding have higher percentages of Asian students than the percentage of Hispanic students at Sterling ES. Do they speak better English than the Hispanic students at Sterling? Anyway, that school environment might remind you of SoCal as well.

NoVa's a pretty diverse place. Some places of both Loudoun, including parts of Sterling and South Riding, are particularly so. The demographics of most of Ashburn and the NW part of Sterling (Countryside/Potomac Falls) track the county's overall demographics more closely than the SE part of Sterling (Sterling Park) and much of South Riding.

Last edited by JD984; 06-16-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,037,633 times
On each school's web site (accessible from lcps.org), there is a link called "School Profile". This gives you the breakdown of stats - including test scores, number/percentage of "English Language Learners", etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM

1,425 posts, read 2,036,823 times
Another issue people tend to not look at in this area is how overcrowded the school is. Where you might find how many attend a particular school, be sure to find out the capacity of the school.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM

9,517 posts, read 14,629,862 times
Brymax, I have no knowledge of the schools out that way but am curious if you still think our traffic out here is a piece of cake?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM

4,526 posts, read 4,864,966 times
If you want to be in the best public elementary school in Loundoun you have to be in Mill Run Elementary's district. Paul Vickers is the best Principal in the county.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM

110 posts, read 236,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Brymax, I have no knowledge of the schools out that way but am curious if you still think our traffic out here is a piece of cake?
Well, I'm still doing my same route from from Seminary Rd. @ the 395 to Sterling and I guess I'm in 1 of the very few pockets of traffic that appears to be fairly light in this area.

So in short, yeah I still don't think it is as bad as LA. But that doesn't make it good, that's for sure.

We've decided to move to South Riding and my route home will now force me on to the 66 instead of the toll road, so I'm sure it's about to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia