Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,195 times

Advertisements

I've spent quite some time perusing through the posts here and on the DC forum. My wife and I have finally decided that we will be moving to the DC area, and yes - we are pretty excited. I am a recent graduate (masters) and so is she. We have narrowed down the list to the SW Waterfront area and Arlington across the water. We were leaning heavily towards Arlington till we heard about the Waterfront. The fact that this is an up and coming neighborhood really excites us. Any insight you folks would have into either location would be much appreciated. To be fair to both sides, I have also posted this on the DC forum! Here is some more info about us and what we are looking for -

About us:
- no kids
- like a party, but prefer peace to noise

What we are looking for
- Safety
- Access (if not proximity) to cafes, restaurants, etc.
- Peaceful neighbors
- 1 Bedroom (2 if we can afford it)
- Rent: $1500 (+/- 20%)
- dog friendly (preferable, not required)
- 1 car spot

Given our requirements, which location would you guys recommend, and for what reasons? Any other recommendations and thoughts always welcome. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by kingkreep; 06-15-2011 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 AM

491 posts, read 1,171,118 times
I have a co-worker who is selling her Baltimore townhouse and buying a condo at the SW waterfront. She's very excited about that area! And the condo price was a lot lower than I thought it'd be. Translate that into what rentals might be going for, and I'm certain that it'd fall better into your financials more than Arlington.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,992 times
If you care about Congressional representation in exchange for taxation, then the choice is clear.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,304 times
$1500 a month will be pushing it for Arlington. You might find something on Craigslist, but it'll be something older. Not sure about SW waterfront, and you may find that some folks' tolerance for transitioning neighborhoods is greater than others (especially if you/your wife are from a suburban background.)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,195 times
OP here - thanks all for the valuable comments. Spot on, as expected. I've upped my budget a little and am looking at some large 1-bdr near the metro in Arlington next week.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Well if you're gonna go for a place by the metro and have money I'd recommend Clarendon. There's lot of shops and bars there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia