Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 30,181 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm sure there are several posts similar to this one so sorry for repeating in advance...

We are a young couple looking to move to a new area. We are looking into Northern VA, MD or areas around DC. We are open to areas outside these states as well if we find an ideal fit.
We're looking for a place that has lots of young couples or young families. We want a place that values forward-thinking people, the arts, music and education. We would like to be close (20 min) to a big city, but don't have to live right in the heart of it. We don't want conservative suburbia, minivans and chain stores cause that's where we're at now. The ability to bike or walk to stores, restaurants, entertainment would be a bonus.
We have good vibes about neighborhoods like Cleveland Heights and Coventry in Cleveland, OH or places like Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, PA if that helps.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM

298 posts, read 678,339 times
We need to know how much you intend to spend on housing. But I'll throw this out there: Bethesda.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,050,255 times
Also (notwithstanding budget as well job location details) consider the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria.

Note that outside of parts of Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church and Vienna, you would essentially ibe in "typical" suburbia. NOVA as a region is perhaps the "bluest" area of the state but you'll certainly experience a variety of opinions on current events. The MD suburbs might lean more progressive but may not necessarily be worth the commute if the commute back over to VA.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Default budget

I suppose we'd be looking to spend $1,000 or under for 1 to 2 bedrooms. And no jobs yet, but one prospective opportunity working for Fairfax county. It will be a month before we know more about that. I liked the idea of the DC area perhaps and it was still a days drive from our family. Also, the weather would be an improvement from where we're at now. We're really trying to focus on finding an area that suits us and then start job searching.

Last edited by aandb; 07-01-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,563,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandb View Post
I supposed we'd be looking to spend 1,000 or under. 1 to 2 bedrooms.
I think you'll have to get rid of the requirement to be 20 minutes near a big city. Not for $1,000--you won't get very close to the city at all and have what you're looking for.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times
Quote:
I supposed we'd be looking to spend 1,000 or under. 1 to 2 bedrooms.

Baltimore.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,050,255 times
Quote:
I suppose we'd be looking to spend $1,000 or under for 1 to 2 bedrooms. And no jobs yet, but one prospective opportunity working for Fairfax county. It will be a month before we know more about that. I liked the idea of the DC area perhaps and it was still a days drive from our family. Also, the weather would be an improvement from where we're at now. We're really trying to focus on finding an area that suits us and then start job searching.
My standard line is that for an "okay" 1B apt in an "okay" complex/building in an "okay" neighborhood, you're looking at $1200/month to start. Somewhat nicer, more convenient units may go for around $1500 or more. Unless you'd be dealing with a private owner, anything less than that would likely mean a long commute (from which transit costs could cancel out the rent savings) or a less desirable setting.

You may discover the disconnect here between where younger couples/professionals like to socialize (usually Arlington) and the location of their jobs (e.g. Tysons Corner, Dulles area). That factor - as well as your rent budget - may require some compromise.

Also note that it can be a lengthy commute within Fairfax County as it covers a rather large area. So when you are able to pinpoint the job location, it will be easier for us to offer suggestions.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times
does this couple have jobs here yet? If they are looking for a job, not only dont they know their job locations, they dont know what level of rent they can afford.

If they dont have jobs, its worth looking here, as we do have areas like that. It would be worth trying to find a job in the CBD, or North Arlington or Alex though (or even MoCo) rather than in Loudoun/herndon/reston as reverse commuting from that type of nabe to those places can be
challenging.

If they already do have at least one job, telling us where its located would help.

If they are economically/geographically footloose - either independently wealthy, or working "virtually" - than I have difficulty imagining this area making more sense than cheaper places like Pittsburgh, cleveland, or baltimore.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

We would be moving on one job and hopefully the other half would be able to work virtually for a few months while phasing out of the current job and looking for a new one. I know it seems odd to go about relocating this way, but we are looking for areas first and then we'll search for jobs near there to allow us to make the move. At first we may have to go with the lower end of the budget ($1000) seeing as though there may be a time frame with one income. Once we're settled with two incomes we're predicting we could move up the rent scale and into an ideal location. Again, we are looking for areas/neighborhoods/towns that meet our criteria because that's important to us.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
does this couple have jobs here yet? If they are looking for a job, not only dont they know their job locations, they dont know what level of rent they can afford.

If they dont have jobs, its worth looking here, as we do have areas like that. It would be worth trying to find a job in the CBD, or North Arlington or Alex though (or even MoCo) rather than in Loudoun/herndon/reston as reverse commuting from that type of nabe to those places can be
challenging.

If they already do have at least one job, telling us where its located would help.

If they are economically/geographically footloose - either independently wealthy, or working "virtually" - than I have difficulty imagining this area making more sense than cheaper places like Pittsburgh, cleveland, or baltimore.
Perhaps we'll check out Baltimore then. Although there are areas in Pittsburgh or Cleveland we like, we've been there and done that. The point is to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia