Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM

41 posts, read 95,877 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Arlington area of VA. I'm a consultant who works from home so commuting is not a problem. I'm originally from NYC so I'm looking for a walkable diverse, neighborhood. If the neighborhood also had the trees, peace and tranquility of some parts of Charlotte, NC that would be great. The neighborhood would be a mixture of age groups and socio economic backgrounds. My children are in college so k-12 education is not a factor. I need to be able to walk my dog, go to the Farmers Market on the weekends and have many choices of stuff to get into (music, restaurants, poetry, etc) when I have free time. Where does a single girl fit in VA and how much would a 2 bedroom apartment cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
If it has to be Arlington, my first thought would be the Columbia Pike area. But it sounds like you might actually prefer the Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria.

That said, a 2BR in either of those neighborhoods may very well run up to $2000 or more a month. I can imagine that will be a shock to your system coming from Charlotte. My personal benchmark for an "okay" 2BR apt in a complex that is moderately convenient and comfortable would be $1600. You may be hard-pressed to find that within Arlington or Alexandria, however.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Why not DC proper? If you work from home, why must it be Arlington?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM

It doesn't have to be Arlington, I am open to DC. What areas in DC would be a good fit?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOMINNC View Post
It doesn't have to be Arlington, I am open to DC. What areas in DC would be a good fit?
I'm not necessarily a DC expert so I would encourage you to ask on the Washington DC forum as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times

YouTube - ‪Arlington: The Rap‬‏

Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 AM

384 posts, read 1,029,330 times
Quote:
In VA, I think Old Town would be a great fit.

In DC, I have a couple of recommendations.

Foggy Bottom (You can walk to the Kennedy Center. GW hospital and a Trader Joes is nearby.)

Cathedral Heights

Woodley Park

Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
I know of a DC neighborhood that would be great for you. It's just North of Union Station around 2nd and 3rd Streets NE. It has lots of cool little indie eateries and you'd be within walking distance of the station where there are lots of nice shops and restaurants. They're building a Giant supermarket nearby as well as the new streetcar line that will run up and down H Street. The area has a good mix including a lot of recent college grads working on Capitol Hill. I think that's going to be one of the hottest area for singles in the years ahead.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Pandoras and Cava1990, how much would a two bedroom that accepts dogs and parakeets cost in the areas you've recommended? Could you also provide me with an estimate of how much I'd pay in utilities, cable (with internet and phone for my home office) and transportation (parking, parking tickets, etc).

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
I'd recommend Old Town Alexandria. If commute isn't a factor, why not consider Leesburg, Manassas, Winchester, or Fredericksburg, or are you too much of a city girl for that?

Orange Line Arlington has a bit of the "just out of college frat boy" vibe about it, but OP may like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia