Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times

Advertisements

I used to go to the Super 29 on West Ox Rd (present day Costco) and the Lee Highway Drive-In in Merrifield.

If you were a teenager, both had an "open trunk" policy....you had to open the trunk and leave it open as you passed through the ticket booth.

You could cram 5 or 6 kids in the trunks of those huge 50's & 60's cars!

The Sunset Drive-In at Bailey's Xroads was the most exciting though....you never knew when a plane landing at the airport across the street would clip the movie screen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,338,289 times
I cant understand why drive-ins are dying. They're so fun, and the kids can play and make a mess in the car, bring their blankets and have a good time. Also what's fun is helping other people jump start their cars. Darn Northern-Virginia is not kid friendly!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,954,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
There used to be a drive in located in Manassas but it's been gone since the early 80's. We used to get calls all the time to move on the people watching for free from a business behind the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I cant understand why drive-ins are dying. They're so fun, and the kids can play and make a mess in the car, bring their blankets and have a good time. Also what's fun is helping other people jump start their cars. Darn Northern-Virginia is not kid friendly!
I think that they suffer due to being spoiled in your big theatres with fantastic sound systems, larger screens and 3D. I really enjoy going to the drive-in but there are some movies that are better in a closed theatre and frankly I can't stay up really late to see movies most of the time.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Businesses don't stay open because they are "so fun". If they can't make money then they need to close. And what does this have to do with NOVA being kid friendly? This is an issue across the entire country. There are few drive ins left in the US compared to 30 years ago.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,705,754 times
Anyone remember the drive-in movie theater off of Lee Highway?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Anyone remember the drive-in movie theater off of Lee Highway?

I seem to recall one in that area. Was it around where the FX Co Parkway is now?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I used to go to the Super 29 on West Ox Rd (present day Costco) and the Lee Highway Drive-In in Merrifield.

If you were a teenager, both had an "open trunk" policy....you had to open the trunk and leave it open as you passed through the ticket booth.

The Sunset Drive-In at Bailey's Xroads was the most exciting though....you never knew when a plane landing at the airport across the street would clip the movie screen!
I remember both of those! We went to the one in Merrifield, with our two children in the backseat. It was a cheap evening out, children in pj's in the back so no babysitter, they would go to sleep before the movie was over. This was the early 70's, we lived in Falls Church, off Annandale Road, near route 50.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
I've been to the Stephen's City drive-in. It's okay but I much prefer the Fork Union drive-in.

I didn't care for the Stephen's City one because it's mostly gravel and flat. The one in Fork Union is mostly grass so if you want to spread a blanket next to your vehicle you can do that. Also, there are levels of parking so that you can see over the row of vehicles in front of you.

It's a haul to get there from here but that's where I went while growing up in Central VA.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,705,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Isn't that right where West Ox Road and the Parkway meet?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Isn't that right where West Ox Road and the Parkway meet?

Yes, but back in the day it was just off Lee Highway....the Parkway wouldn't be built for many years.

Super 29 Drive-In, Fairfax, VA

Next door was a very cool theme park...Old Virginia City. It was a replica of a Wild West town. Dancing girls (mostly Fairfax High girls) in the saloon, hourly staged shootouts in the street, horses and wagons and stagecoaches rolling into town. Us kids made mom take us out there at least a couple of times a summer....it was NEAT.

Also adjacent to the drive-in was the famous (infamous?) Hunter's Lodge. This honky-tonk bar went back to at least the 40's and every major country music star played there at one time or another. If they weren't playing there, they stopped by after their gig at larger area venues. There was no liquor-by-the-drink in those days in Virginia, and I think even beer was only supposed to be sold for off premises consumption. That didn't stop the Hunter's Lodge...they used to get raided and shut down all the time for illegal alcohol sales. That and nightly fights in the parking lot...it was quite a place!

Once I started driving, mom forbade me from going to the Hunter's...but I went anyway!

Our Redneck Past: Settin’ the Woods on Fire: Hunter’s Lodge and the Lee Hwy Dance Halls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia