Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,375 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering moving from our apt. in Alexandria and buying a SFH in the Reston/Herndon area. There is a house we particularly like in Herndon well within our budget but we have a couple of concerns, mostly about Dranesville Elementary. I was hoping that some people familiar with it and the area could help us out. We do not have kids now but hope to within the next couple of years.

1) I saw that greatschools doesn't give it the best score, in fact right now it is a 3/10 which is worse than Dogwood ES in Reston (4/10) which I have heard actively bad things about and have crossed off that entire school district as a result. However, there doesn't seem to be as much negative talk about Dranesville. Does anyone have any experience or stories to pass on?

2) We'd be living very close to Dranesville ES, so we were wondering what the road (Powell's Tavern Place) is like during drop off / pick up times. Does it get very congested? Will it be easy to get in and out of the house if we have to go somewhere during pick up time? I can accept it being a disaster when everyone is trying to park during special occasions like Open House night, but if its a daily occurrence that would be an issue.

Thanks to anyone able to respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,068,835 times
I really don't know about Dranesville ES. However, I do live in Sterling and would like to pass along some general advice to you.

In the past decade or so, there has become a problem with overcrowded housing in the Reston/Herndon/Sterling areas. As for the house you're eyeing, I suggest that you check out the street at different times of day. In particular, take a look at street parking. If you see an excessive amount of parked cars in the street (or in the driveway of a particular home)---and this is a regular occurence, it most likely means that there is overcrowded housing in the area. Particularly, if there is a townhouse community nearby, expect to get overflow parking. This is something that can negatively impact resale value.

I hope that someone can give you more info on Dranesville ES. That said, you are right to be concerned if it is rating less than Dogwood ES.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,375 times
Thanks for the reply!

There don't appear to be townhouses near by that is a good point you make. When we went there it the first time it seemed to be fine, but that was Saturday late morning so maybe not the best time.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,175,293 times
We know a family from our prior daycare that was quite happy at Dranesville, at least they were at the midway point of K. I think the area may just be experiencing a demographic change, which might be dragging scores down a little. Take a look at parent ratings and see what they say. I can't speak from direct experience, of course, I just know what that family said to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia