Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times

Advertisements

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/12/11/cl...om-is-closing/

What is happening to that area? I haven't been in quite a while but last time I went, almost everything is being shutdown. I'm guessing the rents are increasing in that area so much that the businesses can't compete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 10:51 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Wow... that sucks, man. I was just there like a month ago.

I’d presume it’s the rent if I had to guess. This is a problem all over NoVa even in far out places like Woodbridge and Manassas, it’s pushing businesses further south and west.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
https://www.arlnow.com/2019/12/11/cl...om-is-closing/

What is happening to that area? I haven't been in quite a while but last time I went, almost everything is being shutdown. I'm guessing the rents are increasing in that area so much that the businesses can't compete?
I think it is a legit question if rents are becoming unsustainable for business along the Orange Line. I know of a few businesses just down the road in Ballston who have closed or left. What would make me nervous is the viability of what is replacing those businesses, if they are being replaced.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:14 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Tons of vacant commercial space in Clarendon. I suspect that developers are eager to get their hands on every bit of property down there, but they wanna build condos/apartments which would require rezoning. Probably need a lot of property in place already to get that approved.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:15 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think it is a legit question if rents are becoming unsustainable for business along the Orange Line. I know of a few businesses just down the road in Ballston who have closed or left. What would make me nervous is the viability of what is replacing those businesses, if they are being replaced.
Yeah I remember places like A-Town and Carpool have moved. Well, I know Carpool is now way out in Herndon.

But even though I never loved Clarendon/Ballston (bit of a yuppy post-college bro-fest), the spots there made the area unique. I'm afraid we're going to be seeing many things replaced by places like Busboys and Poets and Teds Bulletins.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been to the Ballroom in almost 5 years and I never hung out there, but many people did and a shame that some of the longer-time bars are being driven further out.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:26 AM

44 posts, read 34,681 times
Very sad! It’s such a landmark of Clarendon. Real shame to see Arlington unable to keep it’s identity.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:45 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseKendra View Post
Very sad! It’s such a landmark of Clarendon. Real shame to see Arlington unable to keep it’s identity.
This made me chuckle. I went to CB back in the day (early 20s/grad school). The idea of CB as being indicative of Arlington’s identify is both spot on and kind of sad to me because it means that the identity of Arlington is early 20s bro culture.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM

44 posts, read 34,681 times
I agree with you on both accounts. ☺️

Old 12-16-2019, 04:48 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Closed after "over 19 years" in business; standard retail leases are 10 years long.

Restaurants, bars, and retailers have a high turnover rate -- and especially now, with online sales (now even for food) cutting deep into the supportable amount of retail space. There's definitely a few properties in Clarendon that are being vacated in advance of redevelopment (and some where that process is underway, as with the Market Common expansion), but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:10 PM

322 posts, read 275,884 times
19 years really isn't all that long, but I can understand for millenials and people in their 20s, 19 years might seem like an eternity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia